Protector 1.2.9 executables with egtb access

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RaimundHeid

Re: Protector 1.2.9 executables with egtb access

Post by RaimundHeid »

Final word on this topic: I received the permission from Eugene Nalimov in a mail from Jan 8, 2010. He wrote:

"Yes, I am giving my permission on the same terms as Andrew. Distribution is Ok, putting my code under GPL is not Ok.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I changed jobs recently and currently overloaded with information...

Thanks,
Eugene"

I will include the EGTB access code in the next version of Protector (1.3.3). Plase note that the last official version is 1.3.2 and it doesn't contain the EGTB access code.

Raimund Heid
slobo

Re: The author's post from the Russian forum

Post by slobo »

Graham Banks wrote:The Protector author posted in the Russian forum:
Since the first release of Protector there has been some debate if Protector should be regarded as a Fruit clone. Of all comments written on this topic I would like to pick one that summarizes the complexity of the question pretty well. It can be found at

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 95&t=29581

I didn't write Protector from scratch in order to have an "original" engine and I don't plan to modify Protector towards that goal. This would be a futile task anyway. The answer to the question if Protector is a Fruit clone depends on the personal notion of 'clone' -- my impression is there will always be some people who are not satisfied by the 'distance' between the Protector and the Fruit sources. Currently I don't plan to enter Protector in a serious tournament and thus it isn't an important topic for me.

The Fruit and Toga sources are freely available and cannot be unpublished anymore. Everyone who wants to judge about cloning needs to draw his own line of separation but if it is drawn with too much distance from Fruit this will restrict other programmers severly. I don't believe that this was Fabien Letouzey's intention when he published Fruit -- well, my opinion."

As already mentioned above I have modified several things in Protector that orginally have been analogous to Fruit/Toga. I will do so in the future but my only goal was, is and will be to create a strong chess program that is as competitive as possible -- version 1.2.8 scores about 80% vs. Fruit 2.1 on Linux (the latest open source Fruit version); pretty good for a 'clone', isn't it?. To a certain extend I can understand people who didn't find anything 'new' or 'original' in the Protector source code -- I was also disappointed when I first saw the Fruit source code. There wasn't much new in it but nonetheless Fruit played much stronger than many other programs who seemed to comprise almost the same ingredients.
Oh,

it seems you are visiting the places whose links and references you intend to ban if elected for moderator.

Hypocrisy (redhanded) or what?
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Kirk

Re: The author's post from the Russian forum

Post by Kirk »

Karlo Bala wrote:
slobo wrote:
gladius wrote:
There is no doubt that new era in computer chess started with Fruit and Glaurung
So true, now the question is, did it advance the computer chess hobby or destroy it?
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
beachknight

Re: Protector 1.2.9 executables with egtb access

Post by beachknight »

RaimundHeid wrote:Final word on this topic: I received the permission from Eugene Nalimov in a mail from Jan 8, 2010. He wrote:

"Yes, I am giving my permission on the same terms as Andrew. Distribution is Ok, putting my code under GPL is not Ok.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I changed jobs recently and currently overloaded with information...

Thanks,
Eugene"

I will include the EGTB access code in the next version of Protector (1.3.3). Plase note that the last official version is 1.3.2 and it doesn't contain the EGTB access code.

Raimund Heid
Any chance integrating Scorpio bitbases and Gaviota TBs?

Something like:

egtb type = 0 1 2 3 etc

0 dont use 1 2 3 approp. TBs.

Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT