Carlsen wins Pearl Spring with 3002 performance

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bigo

Carlsen wins Pearl Spring with 3002 performance

Post by bigo »

How about a Carlson vs Rybka match? I'll put my money on Carlson, provided hardware is a Quad and not a cluster.
Fguy64

Re: Carlsen wins Pearl Spring with 3002 performance

Post by Fguy64 »

8/10 in a category 21 tournament against the likes of Topalov, Radjabov, and Leko really is awesome
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

bigo wrote:How about a Carlson vs Rybka match? I'll put my money on Carlson, provided hardware is a Quad and not a cluster.
I think that rybka is the clear favourite to win a match against every human.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

id put my money on rybka if she ran on a single processor & wouldn't think twice. unless carlsen has literally become in recent months far & away the greatest human ever to play it wouldn't be close.

carlsen is not a 3002 elo player, just as short isn't. he may be 2900, but even that would be stretching it a great deal. he simply performed very well over this stretch, against humans. otoh rybka probably is a 3000+ elo player. even if u analyze these games with rybka on one core at 2 hours/game you'll probably find significant mistakes that he made or that his opponents made that rybka wouldn't have.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Rybka will tear him apart even running on a humble quad 8-)
I can speculate that it's anything between 150-200 Elo stronger than any human on our planet....don't know about other planets though :mrgreen:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

yanquis1972 wrote:id put my money on rybka if she ran on a single processor & wouldn't think twice. unless carlsen has literally become in recent months far & away the greatest human ever to play it wouldn't be close.

carlsen is not a 3002 elo player, just as short isn't. he may be 2900, but even that would be stretching it a great deal. he simply performed very well over this stretch, against humans. otoh rybka probably is a 3000+ elo player. even if u analyze these games with rybka on one core at 2 hours/game you'll probably find significant mistakes that he made or that his opponents made that rybka wouldn't have.
Very true....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

yanquis1972 wrote:id put my money on rybka if she ran on a single processor & wouldn't think twice. unless carlsen has literally become in recent months far & away the greatest human ever to play it wouldn't be close.

Unless you have 80,000 Euros or $117,800 (USD) to put up, I don't think your money would get Magnus Carlsen's attention. You might even need more than that because he has to pay "The BOSS"! Last I heard, "The BOSS" was not cheap. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"It is estimated that "The BOSS" earned over 30 million US$ or 23 million Euros during his chess career, and has a staff of twenty people working for him, including chauffeurs, bodyguards and cooks."

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5742
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Uri »

Uri Blass wrote:I think that rybka is the clear favourite to win a match against every human.
Only if it's the cluster. A human can still beat Rybka3 on weaker hardware.

Hell even I beat Rybka 3 one time on weak hardware and I'm a weak player so there is no reason to believe that a top chess player like Carlsen, Kramnik or Radjabov couldn't.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Uri wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:I think that rybka is the clear favourite to win a match against every human.
Only if it's the cluster. A human can still beat Rybka3 on weaker hardware.

Hell even I beat Rybka 3 one time on weak hardware and I'm a weak player so there is no reason to believe that a top chess player like Carlsen, Kramnik or Radjabov couldn't.
One time != match. There's also a big difference between winning one game against a fixed opponent and opening book and facing tournament Rybka with a tuned tournament book in a match.

From weak hardware to a cluster is also a far stretch. A dual Nehalem isn't a cluster but I wouldn't call it weak hardware anyway.

Basically, no human has a chance, and that doesn't change because you can win a single game against a weak machine.

Hell, I can beat Shredder on my Nokia 5100. Doesn't mean jack shit.
lonola

Post by lonola »

bigo wrote:How about a Carlson vs Rybka match? I'll put my money on Carlson, provided hardware is a Quad and not a cluster.
Who is Carlson? Are you talking about Magnus Carlsen? He is not even a world champion. I'm willing to bet you that the top programs i.e. Rybka/Hiarcs/Fritz would beat the world chess champion in a 24 game match at classical time controls on only an off the shelf laptop.