Kasparov Gambit

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Kasparov Gambit

Post by fern »

Do you remember this program? It was available in the 90's in 6 floppy disks. I still have it in that format. It was made for DOS and W95 so it does not run Ok in any later GUI. It was funny due to Kasparov clips, that from time to time, according the game, popped out to say something, a comment about how well or badly we were doing. As much as you could see Kasparov saying that, it was funnier than the fritz voice.
Now I wonder if ever a Cd version was ever made and capable of running in XP.
I like it very much. It was pretty strong and a great fun. I would be charmed and happy if I could use it in my current hardware.
Any of you know something about?

fern
Terry McCracken

Re: Kasparov Gambit

Post by Terry McCracken »

fern wrote:Do you remember this program? It was available in the 90's in 6 floppy disks. I still have it in that format. It was made for DOS and W95 so it does not run Ok in any later GUI. It was funny due to Kasparov clips, that from time to time, according the game, popped out to say something, a comment about how well or badly we were doing. As much as you could see Kasparov saying that, it was funnier than the fritz voice.
Now I wonder if ever a Cd version was ever made and capable of running in XP.
I like it very much. It was pretty strong and a great fun. I would be charmed and happy if I could use it in my current hardware.
Any of you know something about?

fern
It appears Amazon has a CD ver.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... nkCode=asm
Terry McCracken
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

I use to own it and play it. I believe I got rid of it with my many other old programs, once I switched over to Chessbase products. I was a decent program and I only came close to beating it once.

Thanks,

Sean
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

i seem to recall having this program in winter of 1994. played it a few times. i think i beat it but if i did i'm sure i must have been able to pick a level. One of the things i remember was when i installed it, they had me tinkering with my autoexec.bat and config.sys, to make what was called, expanded memory work. this would let dos utilize much more ram than the standard half megabyte or megabyte it had access to. I didnt know at the time why the chess program needed so much ram but i had a 486 with 8 megs of ram and dutifully followed instructions. I didnt play much probably because i wasn't playing as much back then and when i did start up again i moved more toward my chess board computer, fidelity excellence. I wouldnt really get into playing chess on a pc or computer that wasnt a sensory board tell i got fritz 4 in 97. but i thought it was a nifty program.

Mike
Larry

Post by Larry »

fern wrote:Do you remember this program?

fern
This is a coincidence. Just the other day I was cleaning out my
robe room and there was a copy of Kasparov Gambit, the one you
mention with the floppy discs. There are 5 discs, not 6.
I tried to load the thing into my old PC upstairs. It loaded ok but
would not work because it said not enough memory! This in a PC with
196mb!!... something wrong, obviously. I'm not too techo with these
things, so I gave up, and back into the robe room it went.
I'm considering a CD version myself.
all the best
Larry
Growth is the problem; not the solution
Terry McCracken

Larry wrote:
fern wrote:Do you remember this program?

fern
This is a coincidence. Just the other day I was cleaning out my
robe room and there was a copy of Kasparov Gambit, the one you
mention with the floppy discs. There are 5 discs, not 6.
I tried to load the thing into my old PC upstairs. It loaded ok but
would not work because it said not enough memory! This in a PC with
196mb!!... something wrong, obviously. I'm not too techo with these
things, so I gave up, and back into the robe room it went.
I'm considering a CD version myself.
all the best
Larry
I believe it only works in DOS and DOS only has 640KB of Base Memory.

If you have a system that operates in DOS mode you may need a program that extends DOS Memory.

I doubt it will work in a DOS enviroment past Windows 98se, regardless.

Someone who knows more about Emulation and Emulators might be helpful here.
Terry McCracken
vladstamate

Post by vladstamate »

A good DOS emulator is DosBox (www.dosbox.com, although for some reason this morning the page does not load for me). They have versions for Linux, MacOSX and Windows among others. It has yet to fail me on running old dos apps.

Regards,
Vlad.
Terry McCracken

vladstamate wrote:A good DOS emulator is DosBox (www.dosbox.com, although for some reason this morning the page does not load for me). They have versions for Linux, MacOSX and Windows among others. It has yet to fail me on running old dos apps.

Regards,
Vlad.
Ok, but what if you have to extend the Base Memory...will it do that?
Terry McCracken
fern

Post by fern »

This thing need extended and/or expanded memory for working. I was comfortable with those manipulations when DOS was the norm, but actually I scarcely remember. I believe you must write a new lines in the exe.bat or something commands to created those extra memories. I have a book about that, probably it is somewhere inb my vast library.

My best
Fern
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Terry McCracken wrote: Ok, but what if you have to extend the Base Memory...will it do that?
DOSBox was made to run old DOS-games on a modern PC, so a relatively simple chess program should be no problem. There are many parameter, that you can configure.

Here is the direct download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/

I run Chess Genius 1.0 and 2.0 with it, works perfect! If necessary, you can give the program extended memory (for Hashtables)

The only problem could be copy protection; i don't know, if it can handle this...

Robert