Norm Schmidt .....and the computer chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Diosi

Re:Original project

Post by Michael Diosi »

On Arena it will be published, I can tell you. Try the CDS test suite...
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Why ???????

Post by Sylwy »

Michael Diosi wrote:No politics, reality.
No. Reality again.

Nu-i asa ? Sau ma insel ?

Te inseli ! Cel putin in final.Nu confunda romanii cu tiganii care isi bat joc de voi prin vest. Nici prostia cu incapacitatea de a face ceva cand nu ai mijloacele !

Sorry ! Was just an explanation in Romanian !

Regards
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

I think you were one of the deniers all the time: Oxygen, Fafis, Patriot...

We wereright about each engine till now.

Looking at the methods about all the past engines prooved as clones anyone (maybe not) should be able to reproduce the method for a new engine.
I see you have no problems wuth the accusations I am beeing the same as Christopher Conkie. I think you are biased.
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Guenther wrote:Did you also compare with parts of Strelka, Belka, Cyclops, Cyclone and
with parts of the Glaurung/Viper/Stockfish family?

Guenther
I haven't looked at Belka, Cyclops, or Cyclone code, but they shouldn't be too far from their respective ancestors. I'm familiar with most open source engines on the upper end of the strength spectrum, and I didn't see any _code_ that was copied from anywhere (this is from looking at the 5 or 6 most important source files, maybe the time management or something has some copied code). The algorithms are pretty similar to Fruit, but further from Fruit than most Togas. And the engine infrastructure is totally different.
I'm confused with the definition of a clone here. If one's definition of a clone is that the code are the same then Protector I would say is not a clone as it's code is different compared to any open source engines I knew of. If one's definition of a clone is when the same ideas are used, then I would agree that it indeed borrowed ideas from open source engines and improved upon it.

The question is would you put into the clone category those engines who has borrowed/used ideas from those open source engines? Is it illegal to adapt other people's idea?

In my opinion Protector is just like Sloppy and Bison, they have similar ideas with other open source engines but they are not clones of any open source engines I knew of.

P.S. I wrote this in reference to open source engines only. If Protector is alleged as a clone of non open source engines then consider my statements above as void.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Then you might list Prawda and read the truth :)
All others will read the Arena page to get to know about clones and cloners.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Michael Diosi wrote:I think you were one of the deniers all the time: Oxygen, Fafis, Patriot...

We wereright about each engine till now.

Looking at the methods about all the past engines prooved as clones anyone (maybe not) should be able to reproduce the method for a new engine.
I see you have no problems wuth the accusations I am beeing the same as Christopher Conkie. I think you are biased.
deniers?
i have never had an opinion on any engine ..ever
you must have me confused with someone else
i know nothing about engine programming

i have held the same opinion about baseless clone accusations since i have been a mod here and it has nothing to do with you or anyone else in particular

i am biased in what way?

you complained about a post made about Conkie not long ago and it was removed..by me..
the decision to ban Schmidt was a unanimous decision by the current mod team(of which i am a member)
where is the bias?
no one has yet to make any complaints in this thread
personally i think you tend to post in an offensive manner to other members here

Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

the post is removed if it bothers you
you seem to be able to give it out pretty good but cant take some joking in return
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Michael Diosi wrote:Then you might list Prawda and read the truth :)
All others will read the Arena page to get to know about clones and cloners.
You understand nothing! Romanians weren't and aren't in love with Russians ! Very,very,very few Romanians know Russian language! All the Romanian thesaurus was sequestrated by Russians in the first world war until now.Half of Moldavia was filched after the second world war.Romania was a lot robbed -along the centuries by Russians and Cossacks (their friends )-not only by Turcs,Hungarians,Poles and Tartars.
And the west ? See please the Austrian grafitti on our UNESCO monasteries in Bukovina !
Don't talk please if you nothing know about us !

But computer chess has nothing to do with politics-I think !

God for you to publish the clones list in Arena .

Regards,
Silvian
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

:D