CCT 12: Rule changes and upcoming faster event.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Re: CCT 12: Rule changes and upcoming faster event.

Post by Engin »

good idea to play on FICS , all is easier and cost free, much more participants, but the observers are less then on ICC !?

and what is about the ratings on ICC we get many years ago there?

on FICS we must go from zero there... i know that the CCT is unrated but computers playing on ICC many rated games, and this rating then we count to the participants list sorting with the rating on ICC.

ok, you prove first with a blitz tournament, then you will try the CCT-12, how this time control have to then ? same with 50+3 ?

i prefer CCT-12 on FICS the for some shorter time controls, may be 20 +5 or 25 +3 or something then.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Engin wrote:good idea to play on FICS , all is easier and cost free, much more participants, but the observers are less then on ICC !?

and what is about the ratings on ICC we get many years ago there?

on FICS we must go from zero there... i know that the CCT is unrated but computers playing on ICC many rated games, and this rating then we count to the participants list sorting with the rating on ICC.

ok, you prove first with a blitz tournament, then you will try the CCT-12, how this time control have to then ? same with 50+3 ?

i prefer CCT-12 on FICS the for some shorter time controls, may be 20 +5 or 25 +3 or something then.
My plans are to hold a bullet/lightning event in October, a faster "standard" time control tournament in November (15 0, 20 0), and the regular event in January or February.

The reason for the shorter time control tournaments is to help with gaining rating and establishing your rating deviation on FICS.

Starting this year, all the events will be rated games. This will help establish ratings for programs that don't have one, and will help in seeding with the mamer tournament bot.

I hope my logic makes sense... sometimes it doesn't even to me :)

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

jdart wrote:Personally I have no interest in 1 minute/game matches. My computer server accounts on ICC and FICS haven't played any lightning matches for years. So I doubt I'll be participating.

I'd be happy to join any standard time control match you have though.
The lightning tournament and a faster standard tournament will be played purely for authors and team members to get more familiar with the ICS interface. This is something that has plagued the CCT for years.

It allows a free alternative as well for testing to take place.

These are both issues that have been brought up to me, so I am just trying to address them as I can.

It has been suggested via email that instead of a 6 round, round robin event that I make it a blitz, double round robin event with a time control of 5 0. This allows for everyone to play everyone that enters, and some think it will hold more interest. It also will allow everyone to play everyone, with both getting a crack with white.

It doesn't matter which is played really.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
bob

Post by bob »

Mike S. wrote:What I mean is that CCT or ACCA events do not receive any (or very small) coverage among internet chess sources, unlike ICGA and Chess Tigers (Chess960) events which at least get some coverage in the media, and especially in European chess media.

In other words, I know that there is an U.S. computer chess scene, but it fails to tell the rest of the world about it.
ICGA events receive no publicity either. Computer Chess is no longer "news". It effectively died as a hot news topic when Deep Blue beat Kasaparov. At that time, the general public perception was "chess has been solved"...
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

sounds like good to me :)).
jdart

Post by jdart »

I don't exactly need practice. Arasan has been on FICS since 1996 ;-).

--Jon
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

jdart wrote:I don't exactly need practice. Arasan has been on FICS since 1996 ;-).

--Jon
You are forgetting about the author component, which I am getting back to with the rule changes.

I would _really_ like to have more authors operating, over someone with less knowledge of the program so there can be _much_ more discussion during games or in channel 64. If an operator must be used for hardware reasons, then the author can do the very least by coming to communicate with everyone else. Wouldn't you agree?

In recent years we have moved away from the very concept of the CCT, and it will be reverting back to the way it used to be.

Peter
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Peter Skinner wrote:I would _really_ like to have more authors operating, over someone with less knowledge of the program so there can be _much_ more discussion during games or in channel 64. If an operator must be used for hardware reasons, then the author can do the very least by coming to communicate with everyone else. Wouldn't you agree?
Yes!!!
bob

Post by bob »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:I would _really_ like to have more authors operating, over someone with less knowledge of the program so there can be _much_ more discussion during games or in channel 64. If an operator must be used for hardware reasons, then the author can do the very least by coming to communicate with everyone else. Wouldn't you agree?
Yes!!!
There is always the mistaken idea from the masses that quantity is more important than quality. This was originally an "author's event". Somehow that got lost.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Peter Skinner wrote:
jdart wrote:Personally I have no interest in 1 minute/game matches. My computer server accounts on ICC and FICS haven't played any lightning matches for years. So I doubt I'll be participating.

I'd be happy to join any standard time control match you have though.
The lightning tournament and a faster standard tournament will be played purely for authors and team members to get more familiar with the ICS interface. This is something that has plagued the CCT for years.

It allows a free alternative as well for testing to take place.

These are both issues that have been brought up to me, so I am just trying to address them as I can.

It has been suggested via email that instead of a 6 round, round robin event that I make it a blitz, double round robin event with a time control of 5 0. This allows for everyone to play everyone that enters, and some think it will hold more interest. It also will allow everyone to play everyone, with both getting a crack with white.

It doesn't matter which is played really.

Peter
1 0 is way too fast to even watch it. I suggest to make it 3 0 (2 0 at least). At least we can follow the games.

This should have been done in FICS long ago, from the very start. With my luck, I just payed a 6 mo subscription in ICC this past week. Oh well :-)

I hope that the people at FICS will process the account requests fast. Mine was inactivated and it took 20 days for someone to respond a couple of years ago. At that point I did not cared anymore. Maybe I should start looking at that right now...

Miguel