CCT 12: Rule changes and upcoming faster event.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

CCT 12: Rule changes and upcoming faster event.

Post by Peter Skinner »

Hello everyone,

As some already know, I have begun work on CCT 12, and a bullet/lightning event to be held in early October.

The CCT website has been update with the rule changes, and registration method we will be using this time around.

I have moved the event to The Free Internet Chess Server for the following reasons:

1. I would like all the computer accounts to have the name of the engine playing. e.g. Rybka's handle would be Rybka, Crafty's would be Crafty and so on.

2. It costs nothing to have a human account on the server. In fact, 20 team members could all sign up accounts to be there for the event for zero cost.

3. Anyone can sign up an account. This means any person wanting to come watch the event doesn't need a free 7 day account, or to log in as a guest.

4. I am a Tournament Manager on FICS now. The mamer tournament bot will be used for pairing and running the tournament.

Those are the main reasons, and I would like to thank Andy (zek on ICC) for all his past help running these events. These changes are not permanent by any means; this is the way CCT 12 will be run, and based on feedback, will decide the future of the events.

The website will be updated on the server in the coming days with a lightning/bullet event that I am putting together for early October.

It will be a 5 round, round robin event with a time control of 1 min/game.

This means you will play your opponent 5 games in each round. This is roughly 20 minutes per round, with the number of rounds being decided by how many participants enter.

Of course any feedback is welcomed and taken seriously. The changes I have made are result of direct communication with authors since the last CCT event.

Peter Skinner
CCT Tournament Director
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Mike S.

Re: CCT 12: Rule changes and upcoming faster event.

Post by Mike S. »

You should ponder about why the CCT (but also any ACCA event) is mostly an U.S. event, and why seemingly nobody in Europe gives a shit about it. That renders your competitions almost insignificant, as much of the computer chess capacity is in Europe.

I was aware of past CCT and ACCA events, and I was trying to raise interest for it by posting messages about several tournaments, on various message boards some years ago. There is no significant interest over there!

I'm not sure; maybe you don't care anyway. Maybe that is just what you want to have, a competition among half of the world only, not of the whole world.
Regards, Mike
swami

Post by swami »

Excellent Idea, Peter. I'm looking forward to this. Main good thing about CCT is that there will always be 30-40 participants and a lot of competition.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Mike S. wrote:You should ponder about why the CCT (but also any ACCA event) is mostly an U.S. event, and why seemingly nobody in Europe gives a shit about it. That renders your competitions almost insignificant, as much of the computer chess capacity is in Europe.

I was aware of past CCT and ACCA events, and I was trying to raise interest for it by posting messages about several tournaments, on various message boards some years ago. There is no significant interest over there!

I'm not sure; maybe you don't care anyway. Maybe that is just what you want to have, a competition among half of the world only, not of the whole world.
I do care, and mostly it has to do with the time the event is held.

This year, it will be held in the time zone GMT+1. So the first round would be at 11pm my local time, but 6 or 7 am Europe time. (If I figured that out properly.)

I just noticed this is not on the website, but I will fix that.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

I would suggest an even number of games for the matches. With 5, somebody gets 3 whites and 2 blacks. Sounds a little out of balance.

On the bright side, I like the idea of a bullet tournament.
bob

Post by bob »

Mike S. wrote:You should ponder about why the CCT (but also any ACCA event) is mostly an U.S. event, and why seemingly nobody in Europe gives a shit about it. That renders your competitions almost insignificant, as much of the computer chess capacity is in Europe.

I am not sure what you are talking about. We have had Junior, Fritz/Quest, etc in past CCT events. Commercial programs are a problem. Look at how many go to the WCCC now. They don't like losing to Rybka. They fear losing to an amateur which can hurt sales. It isn't about them not wanting to participate, it is about them not wanting to lose. Fruit has been a regular competitor as have lots of others from around the world.
swami

Post by swami »

CRoberson wrote:I would suggest an even number of games for the matches. With 5, somebody gets 3 whites and 2 blacks. Sounds a little out of balance.

On the bright side, I like the idea of a bullet tournament.
Yes, That was what I was going to suggest. 4 games ain't bad. 6 would be better provided we have enough time.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:

I am not sure what you are talking about. We have had Junior, Fritz/Quest, etc in past CCT events. Commercial programs are a problem. Look at how many go to the WCCC now. They don't like losing to Rybka. They fear losing to an amateur which can hurt sales. It isn't about them not wanting to participate, it is about them not wanting to lose. Fruit has been a regular competitor as have lots of others from around the world.
When was the last time Fruit competed anywhere? Seems like you are making the best argument ever for = hardware.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:

When was the last time Fruit competed anywhere? Seems like you are making the best argument ever for = hardware.
Fruit was in the last CCT. Came second in fact.

Peter
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Fruit was in the last Blitz tourney less than a week ago.