Bright 0.4 A Fantastic, Agressive Games

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BBauer

Re: Bright 0.4 A Fantastic, Agressive Games

Post by BBauer »

Nice comments.
Reminds me on a lot of messages over the years like
"Hey Bob, your engine is strong, why don't you get commercial".
Of cource, if the 0.4 version plays at 2800 level the 1.0 version will play at
2800/0.4 = 7000 level.
Anyway, Bright is a nice engine.
Bernhard
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Werewolf wrote:Have you thought about going commercial? It's a really great engine you have there. Add an opening book and I'd buy it.

[edit: sorry just remembered - it's based on Glaurung, right?]
Bright is an original work and it's not based on Glaurung....
Bright does have an opening book and it will be updated with the release of the new version....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Allard Siemelink

Post by Allard Siemelink »

Your memory must be playing tricks on you: Bright is not based on Glaurung, nor any other engine. It is completely original.

Thusfar I have refrained from releasing a commercial version since I am not sure whether it would sell enough copies to compensate for the hassles of setting up a website, collecting money, customer support, preventing piracy etc.

On the other hand, I feel Bright should be commercial once it has surpassed the best free engines out there.
Werewolf wrote:Have you thought about going commercial? It's a really great engine you have there. Add an opening book and I'd buy it.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Allard Siemelink wrote:Your memory must be playing tricks on you: Bright is not based on Glaurung, nor any other engine. It is completely original.

Thusfar I have refrained from releasing a commercial version since I am not sure whether it would sell enough copies to compensate for the hassles of setting up a website, collecting money, customer support, preventing piracy etc.

On the other hand, I feel Bright should be commercial once it has surpassed the best free engines out there.

Sorry getting you mixed up with Stockfish. When you have a 100 engines it's hard to keep track!
Anyway I hope you decide to make your exciting engine commercial when the time is right
Eraserheads

Post by Eraserheads »

Hi Fern,

Your observations from Bright's play are like mine. I notice Bright plays originally too, breaking away from traditional, classical methods of computer style. You can also harvest some outlandish ideas from Bright by watching it play certain openings. I usually enjoy watching Bright execute daring, berzerk-like plans in well-trodden paths in defenses like Queen's Gambit or Catalan. I thought I've seen a lot, and then Bright plays something new...and wins against top computer opposition!

;)

fern wrote:Lately I have been playing Bright 0.4 A, the last public version in my knowledge. They has been games at 25 minutes all the game, 30 minutes the game, 40 minutes for 40 moves and 40 moves in one hour.
In all that time controls I have been defeated in an incredible fast and crushing manner.
I can hold my own with programs of Crafty level; certainly I lose many games, but I can draw others and in any case there is real fight to the end. Any less than 1900 will be surely defeated by me, exception made of specially lazy days when I give up with a draw very soon and with no other motiver than boredom.
With Bright it has been imposible.
It remember me Hiarcs by the attacking talent. And it remember me I do not know who when playing the opening, wich it handles with amazing weirdness but always with a point.
And this is only the 0.4 version.
At the very least I can say it is a lot more entertainning program to play than Rybka and if his promises are kept, it will be an even superior monster sooner or later.

Fern