Question: New Mini-Laptops

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Question: New Mini-Laptops

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, does anyone know if any of these mini laptops might have a weak cpu in it, so I can load up a bunch of chess programs and have a chance of winning.

My home computer is just to strong now, I can only use it for analysis!

Thanks,

Sean
AdminX

Re: Question: New Mini-Laptops

Post by AdminX »

Link coming soon ... :wink: or not!
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Tommy »

Sean Evans wrote:Hi, does anyone know if any of these mini laptops might have a weak cpu in it, so I can load up a bunch of chess programs and have a chance of winning.

My home computer is just to strong now, I can only use it for analysis!

Thanks,

Sean

On my HP mini, Crafty v22.4 benchmark test does 54.8 seconds (428,000 nps). The processor is a 1.6Ghz Intel Atom.

Cheers,
Tom.
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Sean Evans wrote:Hi, does anyone know if any of these mini laptops might have a weak cpu in it, so I can load up a bunch of chess programs and have a chance of winning.
The Intel Atom N270 makes about 60% more nodes than a PIII 1 GHz (Fritz-Benchmark)

Here you have a good overview, so that you can compare with your current system:
http://www.jens.tauchclub-krems.at/dive ... marks.html

best regards,
Robert
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi fellows, I think the high-end Atom processors are to strong. Is there something weaker in the Mini-Laptops available. I see some at Walmart.ca but they do not state the CPU, etc.

Thanks,

Sean
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Sean Evans wrote:Hi fellows, I think the high-end Atom processors are to strong. Is there something weaker in the Mini-Laptops available. I see some at Walmart.ca but they do not state the CPU, etc.
this is not so easy; the currently available netbooks don't have slower CPUs. The next lower level would be MID's (Mobile internet devices) like the "UMID M1", which has the Z510 1.1 Ghz or Z520 1.33 GHz. But the difference should be not that big...

The "Samsung Q1 Ultra" is more like a Tablet PC with Intel Stealey A100 (600 MHz) and has a 7" 1024x600 screen. Or "aigo P8860" (Intel Menlow Silverthorne 800 MHz)

Below that i see only Smartphones and PDAs, which have slower ARM/XScale-CPUs with around 400-624 MHz. These are even slower than identically clocked Intel-CPUs.

An alternative could be a used EeePC 4G or 8G (900 Mhz Mobile Celeron, but underclocked to 630 MHz by default), 7" 800x480 screen.
But they are running a special version of Xandros Linux, so i don't know if it would be possible to install the Linux version of SCID (for example)

Or how about an old Pentium I/II or III notebook; they are cheap, but good for a decent game.

best regards,
Robert
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

What do you fellows think of this mini laptop, for playing dummied down Winboard engines :D

http://laptoping.com/3k-razorbook-400-c ... b-win.html

Sean
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Sean Evans wrote:What do you fellows think of this mini laptop, for playing dummied down Winboard engines :D

Sean
It depends of how strong are you, on this hardware even an old Crafty would be about 2400-2500 Elo strong. On my P-200, Crafty 17.XX beated the crap out of me.

Kai
meschle

Post by meschle »

Sean Evans wrote:What do you fellows think of this mini laptop, for playing dummied down Winboard engines :D

Sean
Note its windows ce not xp - so will only run pocket pc apps
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I own several laptops but the smallest one is an Acer Aspire One. It comes with 1.6 ghz speed and .98 ghz ram. It is loaded with Windows XP.
New it only cose me about $300.00. Only thing missing is a CD drive, but I use pen rams to transfer programs that I want.
Bill