2009 ACCA World Computer Rapid Chess Championships

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: 2009 ACCA World Computer Rapid Chess Championships

Post by bob »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:A shared connection is different to having a home network - and if the computers are used by different people I wonder how the other users would react if dad says from now on sorry its my Chess Cluster.

i remain to be convinced let's see someone release a cluster version then we will see what happens.
How is it different? If you can connect to one machine, you can connect to all. You could even add your neighbor's machine if he agreed. And you should know that there are tons of projects (condor, etc) that are built around the idea of using idle machines, but getting out of the way if the real owner needs to run something so that wasted cycles can be used without causing slow-downs if the primary user tries to do something.
Ok lets see - release a crafty that people can do this with - I am sure if they need to set fixed ips etc this will be very easy.
what is "fixed ips" with respect to a program that is going to run on a network???
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:A shared connection is different to having a home network - and if the computers are used by different people I wonder how the other users would react if dad says from now on sorry its my Chess Cluster.

i remain to be convinced let's see someone release a cluster version then we will see what happens.
How is it different? If you can connect to one machine, you can connect to all. You could even add your neighbor's machine if he agreed. And you should know that there are tons of projects (condor, etc) that are built around the idea of using idle machines, but getting out of the way if the real owner needs to run something so that wasted cycles can be used without causing slow-downs if the primary user tries to do something.
Ok lets see - release a crafty that people can do this with - I am sure if they need to set fixed ips etc this will be very easy.
what is "fixed ips" with respect to a program that is going to run on a network???
release your program for a cluster lets see how many get it to work.
bob

Post by bob »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:

I plan on doing just that. I'll bet the answer is "100%". This is not hard or complicated. Any more than using a machine with more than one CPU is hard to use. Some try to make it harder, I just require that you tell me how many cpus I can use. I plan on the same for the clsuter version except that I will need to know the host names of machines that you are authorized to run on, nothing more.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:

I'm afraid I agree with Bob on this. I remember a few years ago, Bob mentioning that he had several students with multiple CPU desktops (2x Pentiums and the like) to help justify his parallel work, and was scoffed by many here. Time has shown that this was a prelude to the natural direction we are taking.

Cluster exploitation is already unusually common. Think of the SETI stuff one can download, or the Folding@Home. I tend to agree that more and more cluster work will appear over time. Perhaps not so much at home, but certainly in businesses. There is a lot of untapped CPU power in businesses.

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

bob wrote: I plan on doing just that.
Please do!

... and if possible do allow windows boxes to be included.

Here at home I have one quad and four duals that I use 100%, 100%, 100%, 30% and 10% for chess (four of them under XP 64 and one under XP 32bits).
I am pretty sure there must be quite a few CCC members who have similar or stronger configurations at home.
And the same must be true for the probably larger audience of master level correspondence players.
And then you have all these strong chess amateurs who have a family with several computers at home that stay unemployed at night ...

Marc
bob

Post by bob »

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
bob wrote: I plan on doing just that.
Please do!

... and if possible do allow windows boxes to be included.

Here at home I have one quad and four duals that I use 100%, 100%, 100%, 30% and 10% for chess (four of them under XP 64 and one under XP 32bits).
I am pretty sure there must be quite a few CCC members who have similar or stronger configurations at home.
And the same must be true for the probably larger audience of master level correspondence players.
And then you have all these strong chess amateurs who have a family with several computers at home that stay unemployed at night ...

Marc
I plan on doing a "blind implementation" of the distributed search, so that the underlying transport mechanism is invisible to Crafty, giving the ability to use the normal #ifdef type customizations so that we can add code for windows. This might require some help since all of my clusters here are linux-based, but it should be doable.
FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK »

Sorry, I did not see your post until now.
Thanks for the proposal ! i 'll be happy if you can help BugChess2 participate :)

Cheers

François
sje

Post by sje »

The www.taccl.org site is is no longer there; I get a parking redirection.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

There is a problem with the site. Josh is looking into it.
Should be up soon. Meanwhile, I'll accept entrants to the tournament
here.
sje

Post by sje »

Okay, thanks, please sign up Symbolic for August 15/16.