Computer Chess and The Sarah Connor Chronicles a

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirk

Re: Computer Chess and The Sarah Connor Chronicles a

Post by Kirk »

Fguy64 wrote:In the Sarah Chronicles, when they show a chess set, does it have a light square or a dark square on the right hand corner?
I have not had an opportunity to watch the episodes again (currently on Firefly). I assume by that question it is the black.

And if so, I am sure it was intentional 8-)
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Fguy64

Post by Fguy64 »

I haven't watched it either, but I have noticed many many times that when chess is portrayed on tv, commercials, theater, whatever, that the board is incorrectly oriented.
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I bought the entire first season but I don't recall seeing any chess in it, I guess I'll have to watch it all over again.
Bill
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Bill Rogers wrote:I bought the entire first season but I don't recall seeing any chess in it, I guess I'll have to watch it all over again.
Bill
Watch the episode "THE TURK" and "Queens Gambit" as starters. References scattered throughout the first season though

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_103:_The_Turk

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Episod ... 27s_Gambit

http://blog.zap2it.com/ithappenedlastni ... -th-2.html
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Kirk

Re: OT

Post by Kirk »

AdminX wrote:OT:

I checked my favorite internet TV pages and was only able to find season 2 of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I found season two on Hulu.

These are my favorite internet TV pages:

hulu.com
joost.com
tv.com

I guess I will have to rent the DVD of Season 1. :wink:
How about digging up this old post? I finally have started watching the second season. Not as many chess references as the first season but still a few:

Here is one clip from the series (season two) involving chess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09lJa6Vv8w
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Fguy64 wrote:In the Sarah Chronicles, when they show a chess set, does it have a light square or a dark square on the right hand corner?
Hehe.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Rolf wrote:
Hehe.
Rolf, better not laugh. According to this show a chess program built a program so strong it became alive. And this program brought on Judgment Day

So Rybka (or possibly an evil clone) could eventually wipe out the world! (although in this show it is "The Turk") :wink:
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Kirk wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Hehe.
Rolf, better not laugh. According to this show a chess program built a program so strong it became alive. And this program brought on Judgment Day

So Rybka (or possibly an evil clone) could eventually wipe out the world! (although in this show it is "The Turk") :wink:
Come on guys. Pay attention to the details. He created a chess program with the normal methods and did it very well. Then somebody
destroyed the program. This motivated him to create a 2nd program that was designed based on learning technologies and not the normal
methods. The program learned to play chess and learned to play better via a GM instructor.

It was the second program (the learning one) that was of interest to the military and was a link in the chain to skynet not the first one (the normal one).

The day after this episode aired, some people where I live came to me and asked could computer chess lead to this. So, went online
and watched the two episodes. The details needed to understand it are stated clearly but quickly. It was over most peoples heads.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

CRoberson wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Hehe.

Come on guys. Pay attention to the details. He created a chess program with the normal methods and did it very well. Then somebody
destroyed the program. This motivated him to create a 2nd program that was designed based on learning technologies and not the normal
methods. The program learned to play chess and learned to play better via a GM instructor.

It was the second program (the learning one) that was of interest to the military and was a link in the chain to skynet not the first one (the normal one).

The day after this episode aired, some people where I live came to me and asked could computer chess lead to this. So, went online
and watched the two episodes. The details needed to understand it are stated clearly but quickly. It was over most peoples heads.
There was something special about the turks hardware in that it used modified game-box chips strung together that somehow became greater than the sum of its parts. That is what allowed the software/hardware combination to become 'alive'. Even the manufacturer/programmer did not understand what had happened or how it was possible.

I hope that FOX gets a weak spot in their lineup and decides to bring the series back for a third season. I think that the twist in the terminator story was going to be that Skynet is prevented from happening, although the Turk being alive, will still take over the world and try to destroy man.

IT IS INEVITABLE :twisted:

If it can happen it will happen. It will only take one madman sometime in the future working in his basement (and maybe under it) when the technology can be purchased from Radio Shack to create an army to do his evil bidding. Even today, kids are creating robots that can do interesting things!

Edit: And by the way it is not the Turk that will lead to the terminators it is the experiential learning system in RomiChess running simulations in real time that will lead to mans doom! :) :D :lol: :twisted:
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Hehe.

There was something special about the turks hardware in that it used modified game-box chips strung together that somehow became greater than the sum of its parts. That is what allowed the software/hardware combination to become 'alive'. Even the manufacturer/programmer did not understand what had happened or how it was possible.

I hope that FOX gets a weak spot in their lineup and decides to bring the series back for a third season. I think that the twist in the terminator story was going to be that Skynet is prevented from happening, although the Turk being alive, will still take over the world and try to destroy man.

IT IS INEVITABLE :twisted:

If it can happen it will happen. It will only take one madman sometime in the future working in his basement (and maybe under it) when the technology can be purchased from Radio Shack to create an army to do his evil bidding. Even today, kids are creating robots that can do interesting things!

Edit: And by the way it is not the Turk that will lead to the terminators it is the experiential learning system in RomiChess running simulations in real time that will lead to mans doom! :) :D :lol: :twisted:
I will mark you down as one of the Four Horseman! :wink:

I wish they would do a third too. I am in the middle of the shows but can already tell they cannot tie up all the storylines they are working on.

Anyway Mr. Sherwin, if you see this girl, she is dangerous. She might be running Romi-V2011. :lol: