When will come a new Toga Engine?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chesstango

Dear Gian Carlo:

Post by chesstango »

Dear Gian Carlo: thx for your thoughts; but as i was involved in science as a researcher and worked some time ago with the staffs of 2 Nobel Prizes i can say that if something like that ocurrs, the local or international community just begin to ignore or put them aside , being as not credible, but nothing more....

Is the developer of a GPL-covered program bound by the GPL? Could the developer's actions ever be a violation of the GPL?
Strictly speaking, the GPL is a license from the developer for others to use, distribute and change the program. The developer itself is not bound by it, so no matter what the developer does, this is not a “violation” of the GPL.

However, if the developer does something that would violate the GPL if done by someone else, the developer will surely lose moral standing in the community.

There are many examples through the history.....
Thx in advance.
dr Wesler
Dr. Bernardo Wesler
INFORMATION DOESN'T REPLACE KNOWLEDGE AND KNOWLEDGE DOESN'T REPLACE WISDOM.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: Dear Gian Carlo:

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

chesstango wrote: i can say that if something like that ocurrs, the local or international community just begin to ignore or put them aside , being as not credible, but nothing more....
I think that qualifies as "get quite upset". You won't get much of a career as a scientist if you're not considered credible...
You're confirming what I said: No respect in science without proper attribution and acknowledgment of your sources.
However, if the developer does something that would violate the GPL if done by someone else, the developer will surely lose moral standing in the community.
I'm not sure what you think of here. The owner of the copyright can do whatever he pleases.
chesstango

Post by chesstango »

Dear Gian Carlo: nonsense to go ahead with all this stuff; we both agree.
I can go beyond and say that nowadays we are living in a convulsionated world, where if we are not in the same countries, unless u are a rich man, u cant sue anybody out of your own country borders..... I mean really, that another and well regulated www should become ...... Chaos or anarchy never is good for human beings......
have a nice day.
Dr Wesler
Dr. Bernardo Wesler
INFORMATION DOESN'T REPLACE KNOWLEDGE AND KNOWLEDGE DOESN'T REPLACE WISDOM.
Aleks Peshkov

Re

Post by Aleks Peshkov »

Sorry, I will repeat my statements again.
1) Chess programming is not a science anymore.
2) Chess programming is currently freestyle sport (street fighting with any weapon until caught by policemen) without strict regulations.
3) Noise and whining about non sportsmanship make things only worse, because it frightens newcomers.
4) GPL is not respectful in the particular CC community, but GPL concept is nor complex nor ambiguous.

We need clear computer tournament rules, not noise.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

chesstango wrote:Dear Gian Carlo: thx for your thoughts; but as i was involved in science as a researcher and worked some time ago with the staffs of 2 Nobel Prizes i can say that if something like that ocurrs, the local or international community just begin to ignore or put them aside , being as not credible, but nothing more....

Is the developer of a GPL-covered program bound by the GPL? Could the developer's actions ever be a violation of the GPL?
Strictly speaking, the GPL is a license from the developer for others to use, distribute and change the program. The developer itself is not bound by it, so no matter what the developer does, this is not a “violation” of the GPL.

Thx in advance.
dr Wesler
Just my opinion, but I think that in order to lose moral standing you have to do something wrong first.

If the author of a program wants to have multiple license styles, that is their perogative. In fact, there are hundreds of such projects.

A classical case is MySQL (GPL and commercial).

IMO-YMMV
Dann Corbit

Re: Re

Post by Dann Corbit »

Aleks Peshkov wrote:Sorry, I will repeat my statements again.
1) Chess programming is not a science anymore.
2) Chess programming is currently freestyle sport (street fighting with any weapon until caught by policemen) without strict regulations.
3) Noise and whining about non sportsmanship make things only worse, because it frightens newcomers.
4) GPL is not respectful in the particular CC community, but GPL concept is nor complex nor ambiguous.

We need clear computer tournament rules, not noise.
Every tournament director is free to set their own rules.
Every participant has a choice to agree to play or not.

For some events (like the CCC tournaments and WMCCC events) clones are not allowed [which is to say that derivaties may not participate without the author's explicit permission and only then if the derivative is a single instance of that program family].)

For other events anything goes.

Since anyone can run a tournament, I think it is impossible to legislate how they can be run. But programmers will vote for what they want by participation. Indeed, the programmers are voting on WMCCC by not participating because they continually violate their own charter.