When will come a new Toga Engine?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Edward German

When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Edward German » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi all, hello Programmers!

When will we see a brand new Toga Engine? What happens here?

Regards,
Eduard

Peter Aloysius
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Surabaya, Indonesia

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Peter Aloysius » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Edward German wrote:Hi all, hello Programmers!

When will we see a brand new Toga Engine? What happens here?

Regards,
Eduard
Someone who create "brand new" toga engine cannot be called programmer, they're ... cloner.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Peter Aloysius wrote:
Edward German wrote:Hi all, hello Programmers!

When will we see a brand new Toga Engine? What happens here?

Regards,
Eduard
Someone who create "brand new" toga engine cannot be called programmer, they're ... cloner.
This is totaly incorrect....
A can of worms regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Edsel Apostol
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:53 am
Full name: Edsel Apostol
Contact:

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Edsel Apostol » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Peter Aloysius wrote:
Edward German wrote:Hi all, hello Programmers!

When will we see a brand new Toga Engine? What happens here?

Regards,
Eduard
Someone who create "brand new" toga engine cannot be called programmer, they're ... cloner.
This is totaly incorrect....
A can of worms regards,
Dr.D
It's frustrating sometimes for programmers of original engines to see in the rating list a lot of derivative engines ahead of his engine. What's worst is that some of those testers even prioritize them.

You know the feeling that you have worked thousand of hours with your engine and it will be taken for granted because some new author of a derivative has decided to release another version that is just a few lines different than the original version.

I'm not against the development of those derivatives but at least they should have combined there efforts and just release under one name so as not to pollute the rating lists. There's no point of having 5 different named engines with just a few lines of difference in the code.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:24 pm

Edsel Apostol wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Peter Aloysius wrote:
Edward German wrote:Hi all, hello Programmers!

When will we see a brand new Toga Engine? What happens here?

Regards,
Eduard
Someone who create "brand new" toga engine cannot be called programmer, they're ... cloner.
This is totaly incorrect....
A can of worms regards,
Dr.D
It's frustrating sometimes for programmers of original engines to see in the rating list a lot of derivative engines ahead of his engine. What's worst is that some of those testers even prioritize them.

You know the feeling that you have worked thousand of hours with your engine and it will be taken for granted because some new author of a derivative has decided to release another version that is just a few lines different than the original version.

I'm not against the development of those derivatives but at least they should have combined there efforts and just release under one name so as not to pollute the rating lists. There's no point of having 5 different named engines with just a few lines of difference in the code.
Hi Edsel,
Here I can't agree more :D
BTW,such a project is being discussed already in the Toga developers forum,don't know what happened till now though....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

User avatar
Denis P. Mendoza
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Denis P. Mendoza » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:47 pm

When will we see a brand new Toga Engine? What happens here?
There will be no new Toga engine unless there is a major revamp on the code that is fit for a release. Sorry Ed.

Someone who create "brand new" toga engine cannot be called programmer, they're ... cloner.
Yes. the term is accepted as such, as Toga is a verified clone :D. It's just a term we have to accept and live with. I can't blame you and can't blame the Toga developers either. That's a big issue that will never end. Some people start from scratch, while some start from something already done. Toga followed GPL and you can't deny anyone abiding by this rule, as it's generally the way open-source softwares develop.


It's frustrating sometimes for programmers of original engines to see in the rating list a lot of derivative engines ahead of his engine. What's worst is that some of those testers even prioritize them.

You know the feeling that you have worked thousand of hours with your engine and it will be taken for granted because some new author of a derivative has decided to release another version that is just a few lines different than the original version.

I'm not against the development of those derivatives but at least they should have combined there efforts and just release under one name so as not to pollute the rating lists. There's no point of having 5 different named engines with just a few lines of difference in the code.
Ed,

Kabayan, the feeling is understandable. I agree that the Toga released after 5c were only a few lines different but the only problem I saw there was the tagging and versioning. It should have been a continuous release under one name. But that was not taken into account at that period.

I for one is already 'drowning' of the various Togas we have. At the least, most are already at TDDB and we're trying our best to combine efforts to make it into 'one account' as you stated. If you ask me, this is my quest right now.

Thanks,

Denis

User avatar
Werner
Posts: 2440
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Werner » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:42 am

Hi,
I have tried to show in our list that there is no significant improvement to bee seen since Toga II 1.4 beta 5c: 2861 +-14.
The strongest one Cyclone 3.4 is with 2876 +-26 around 15 points ahead.

The latest (private) Fruit engines tops them all, but unfortunately Ryan did not give them free till now.
Werner

Gian-Carlo Pascutto
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 am

Werner wrote: The latest (private) Fruit engines tops them all, but unfortunately Ryan did not give them free till now.
Isn't that a GPL violation? Anyone who got the beta should be able to request the source and redistribute it.

User avatar
Werner
Posts: 2440
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by Werner » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 am

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Werner wrote: The latest (private) Fruit engines tops them all, but unfortunately Ryan did not give them free till now.
Isn't that a GPL violation? Anyone who got the beta should be able to request the source and redistribute it.
I am not the specialist in GPL rules, but I think: no
as Fruit 2.2 and 2.2.1 have been commercial and till then no source code has been published.
All newer Fruit versions have been developped by Ryan alone based on that version.
Werner

swami
Posts: 6536
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 am

Re: When will come a new Toga Engine?

Post by swami » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 am

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Werner wrote: The latest (private) Fruit engines tops them all, but unfortunately Ryan did not give them free till now.
Isn't that a GPL violation? Anyone who got the beta should be able to request the source and redistribute it.
No, the engine in question is not the derivative of Fruit but the actual Fruit itself, and Ryan is the co-author alongside Fabien. Fruit 2.2.1 went commercial and was no longer open source. After awhile, it went non-commercial with version 2.3 but still closed source and that version was from Ryan/Fabien. Now all the remaining betas of Fruit subsequent to 2.3 are closed source ever since.

Post Reply