Plague: a "new" chess engine based on Smaug

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Re: Plague: a "new" chess engine based on Smaug

Post by swami »

CThinker wrote: Our "new" engine, based on Plague, is now officially named "iarism".

We claim that Iarism is 20 points stronger than Plague. All the eval tweaking is responsible for that. But some tests show that Iarism is 12 points weaker than Plague.

And like Plague, Iarism is under GPL. There are no plans for an iPhone version yet.
How about If I suggest all the derivative authors publish their engine by crediting the main author first and include their own name next to it?

Like for example:
  • The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Doestoevsky, (Translators) Richard Peevar, Larissa Volokhonsky
  • Smaug by Tord Romstad, (Modified by) Joona Kiiski
It would put more emphasis on original author. I wonder if GPL allows that? I'd guess so. Would he need permission from Tord to be able to do that? probably not.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote:
CThinker wrote: Our "new" engine, based on Plague, is now officially named "iarism".

We claim that Iarism is 20 points stronger than Plague. All the eval tweaking is responsible for that. But some tests show that Iarism is 12 points weaker than Plague.

And like Plague, Iarism is under GPL. There are no plans for an iPhone version yet.
How about If I suggest all the derivative authors publish their engine by crediting the main author first and include their own name next to it?

Like for example:
  • The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Doestoevsky, (Translators) Richard Peevar, Larissa Volokhonsky
It would put more emphasis on original author. I wonder if GPL allows that? I'd guess so. Would he need permission from Tord to be able to do that? probably not.
Some people will always be bitter about open source development, no matter how legal it is. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:
swami wrote:

Like for example:
Some people will always be bitter about open source development, no matter how legal it is. :wink:
So far from what I've read, I think some people seem bitter at the way modifier take the role of a main programmer. They will become tolerant once more emphasis is placed on original author.

I believe the development of Stockfish, Toga should continue as they are all pretty good derivatives proven to be significantly stronger than original engine.The modifiers shouldn't be dissuaded.

It's just that the need to place more emphasis on Tord and Fabien as the main authors followed by the name of modifiers...that will settle disputes. Would that work?
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

swami wrote:
It's just that the need to place more emphasis on Tord and Fabien as the main authors followed by the name of modifiers...that wil settle disputes.
That will NOT set dispute becuase angryness is in the head of some people and there is nothing you can do about it, you change something...they will find something else to blame for.

Do you really think that the real cause of all this hate is becuase of what name comes before ? The real cause is a problem some people have with themself...you name it.

I have written what I felt was good to write, I will not spend my time anymore answering to these people, not because I think I am better, just because you cannot speak to someone who doesn't want to hear....you just get him more angry.
Peter Aloysius

Post by Peter Aloysius »

swami wrote:

Like for example:
I suggest if a person has any idea how to improve an engine, he submit the idea to original author, not rename the engine and put his own name on it. The original author then decide whether he want to include the idea or not on the next release, if he does, he say thanks to all contributors in readme file.

That's called open source development. Make a few small changes, rename the engine, and put your own name on it, is called plagiarism.

Everybody happy this way, unless that person want to claim it as his own work.
Last edited by Peter Aloysius on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote:So far from what I've read, I think some people seem bitter at the way modifier take the role of a main programmer. They will become tolerant once more emphasis is placed on original author.
I don't think that this will change their opinions. Some are just anti open source no matter what.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Peter Aloysius wrote: I suggest if a person has any idea how to improve an engine, he submit the idea to original author, not rename the engine and put his own name on it. The original author then decide whether he want to include the idea or not on the next release, if he does, he say thanks to all contributors in readme file.

That's called open source development. Make a few small changes, rename the engine, and put your own name on it, is called plagiarism.

Everybody happy this way, unless that person want to claim it as his own work.
As long as people follow the GPL agreement (or whatever applies), then they're not actually doing anything wrong.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Peter Aloysius

Post by Peter Aloysius »

Graham Banks wrote:
swami wrote:So far from what I've read, I think some people seem bitter at the way modifier take the role of a main programmer. They will become tolerant once more emphasis is placed on original author.
I don't think that this will change their opinions. Some are just anti open source no matter what.
there was never an anti Crafty sentiment, why? Because nobody rename crafty and put his name on it, if someone does that, he is called cloner.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Peter Aloysius wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
there was never an anti Crafty sentiment, why? Because nobody rename crafty and put his name on it, if someone does that, he is called cloner.
I don't think that people are allowed to modify and then rename Crafty in the same way as open source engines covered by the GPL agreement.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:
I came across this thread and had no idea what was going on. I just assumed it was something to do with naming convention. It seems that it was indeed more than that...