Glaurung 2.2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Spock

Re: Glaurung 2.2

Post by Spock »

Yes, personally I think the UCI protocol takes far too much control away from the engine and gives far too much to the GUI. I wonder why it has become the dominant standard - at least among top commercials anyway. With free engines a little lower down the list it is a different story I guess. Some engines support both. UCI is all I've ever known though, I've never used the winboard GUI. All winboard engines I use are either played with an adaptor or through Arena which runs them natively as well as UCI (the latter being in principle a better route I think)
Spock

Post by Spock »

bob wrote: I'll try to post some samples. I have a small shell script I run in a window that every 30 seconds goes out and grabs all the PGN from the current match running on the cluster and then displays the BayesElo output. I can't get to the files right now, but I have captured that for an hour or so and it shows what I mean. It is quite common to see the Elo change by 30 from 1,000 games to 32,000 games, and on occasion it has changed by much more. Particularly after just a couple of hundred... I will post this later today...
That would be very interesting, thank you.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Spock wrote:Yes, personally I think the UCI protocol takes far too much control away from the engine and gives far too much to the GUI. I wonder why it has become the dominant standard - at least among top commercials anyway. With free engines a little lower down the list it is a different story I guess. Some engines support both. UCI is all I've ever known though, I've never used the winboard GUI. All winboard engines I use are either played with an adaptor or through Arena which runs them natively as well as UCI (the latter being in principle a better route I think)
I suspect it is largely due among the top engines to being able to use .ctg books. The, official, Rybka book is only released in this format although the engine is UCI.
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Harvey Williamson wrote: I suspect it is largely due among the top engines to being able to use .ctg books. The, official, Rybka book is only released in this format although the engine is UCI.
I don't think so.

IMHO polyglot book-making functions are much more powerful than chessbase's ctg ones.
Best ever ratings on both Playchess and ICC were achieved by Nick Carlin with Polyglot opening books ("BigMomma" on ICC and "Flyingfatman" on Playchess).
CTG books long had an unfaithful advantage as being the only ones supported by Fritz GUI.
And PG books users were few because of missing CB support and difficult book tuning lacking an easy graphical interface.

There will be a major evolution on these precise points in the coming weeks.

The future of opening books is Polyglot.

Marc
Harvey Williamson

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: I suspect it is largely due among the top engines to being able to use .ctg books. The, official, Rybka book is only released in this format although the engine is UCI.
I don't think so.

IMHO polyglot book-making functions are much more powerful than chessbase's ctg ones.
Best ever ratings on both Playchess and ICC were achieved by Nick Carlin with Polyglot opening books ("BigMomma" on ICC and "Flyingfatman" on Playchess).
CTG books long had an unfaithful advantage as being the only ones supported by Fritz GUI.
And PG books users were few because of missing CB support and difficult book tuning lacking an easy graphical interface.

There will be a major evolution on these precise points in the coming weeks.

The future of opening books is Polyglot.

Marc
You maybe right but I have not seen a top engine in any tournament doing this.
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Are you really sure ?

Rybka played at last CCT with a PG book (operated by Nick Carlin) and won ahead of Hiarcs :
http://www.cctchess.com/r7.htm

Rybka played at last Annual ACCA (operated by Nick Carlin) with a PG book and won (Hiarcs could not play)

At all tournaments operated on ICC so far Rybka played with a PG book and won.

so I repeat :

Are you really sure ?

:-)

Marc
Harvey Williamson

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Are you really sure ?

Rybka played at last CCT with a PG book (operated by Nick Carlin) and won ahead of Hiarcs :

Rybka played at last Annual ACCA (operated by Nick Carlin) with a PG book and won (Hiarcs could not play)

so I repeat :

Are you really sure ?

Marc
Yes but if a ctg could be used they would use Jeroens book as they do in all other tournaments. ICC tournaments are also the only tournaments Hiarcs does not use a CTG book.
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Yes but if a ctg could be used they would use Jeroens book as they do in all other tournaments.
I would not bet on Jeroen's tournament book against Nick's one all other things being equal.

Jeroen's public book is a real masterpiece of general opening knowledge.

But I am not sure that his competition book is flawless.

Probably we will have to wait for a real competitor to know more.

Marc
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Are you really sure ?

so I repeat :

Are you really sure ?

Marc
Hi Marc,
I happen to share your opinion regarding this issue :D
BTW,what other PG books are available out there besides your excellent Performance opening book that you would recommend :?:
Opening theory regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Harvey Williamson

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: Yes but if a ctg could be used they would use Jeroens book as they do in all other tournaments.
I would not bet on Jeroen's tournament book against Nick's one all other things being equal.

Jeroen's public book is a real masterpiece of general opening knowledge.

But I am not sure that his competition book is flawless.

Probably we will have to wait for a real competitor to know more.

Marc
I agree Nick's book is excellent but it is built mainly from Playchess games where they are using ctg books.