Mediocre has a new home

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zlaire

Mediocre has a new home

Post by Zlaire »

As I'm picking up work with Mediocre again it is now available on Sourceforge, with a CVS repository for those interested in the source code.

Mediocre can now be found at:

http://mediocrechess.blogspot.com/ (blog)
http://mediocrechess.sourceforge.net/ (homepage)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediocrechess/ (downloads, repository etc.)

A new version is available (v0.333), which does not add much to the performance of Mediocre, but is rather a cleaner release with a jar-file and Windows executable.

I also decided to design a new logo (instead of the old one created by Jim Ablett, many thanks for that). It looks like this:

Expect new versions of Mediocre in the near future.
swami

Re: Mediocre has a new home

Post by swami »

Welcome back, Jonatan! :D
krazyken

Post by krazyken »

Thanks! I'll be looking forward to updates!

The version string wasn't updated though:

Code: Select all

$ java -Xmx1024M -jar mediocre_v0.333.jar 
Welcome to Mediocre v0.332. Type 'help' for commands.

Zlaire

Post by Zlaire »

Thank you, and whoops. :) I'll take care of that right away.

Edit: Taken care of, should be up in a few minutes on sourceforge.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Jonatan. 8-)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Jonathan,

I had a look at your book format. It seems to be lines in plain text.

Perhaps you might consider supporting the polyglot book format. It is very easy to parse, completely open and already understood by a number of programs. Polyglot includes utilities for generating such books from pgn files.

There are a number of free books around (for example by Salvo Spitaleri, Marc Lacrosse, Denis Mendoza).

For the specification see

http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algebra/Toga/

Regards,
Michel
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Hi Jonatan. I'm having a problem running the JET compiled executable included with the 0.333 release. It seems to be a dependency issue. When I run it, I get the following message:

Fatal error: Excelsior JET 6.40 installation cannot be found.
HOW TO FIX:
If you port compiled executables to other machines, please, use the JetPackII
deployment wizard (see JET User's Guide, "Deployment Automation" for details).
Otherwise, include the JET/bin directory into PATH or reinstall JET.

Also, I can use included batch file within Arena, but if I try to change the ub option in the .ini file from false to true, the Arena debug window says:

Error: book.zip was not found, make sure it is in the same directory as
Book.class (or the executable). The book will not be used in this session

I left book.zip in the same folder as the .jar file.

Tony
Zlaire

Post by Zlaire »

Michel wrote:I had a look at your book format. It seems to be lines in plain text.

Perhaps you might consider supporting the polyglot book format.
tmokonen wrote: ...if I try to change the ub option in the .ini file from false to true, the Arena debug window says:

Error: book.zip was not found, make sure it is in the same directory as
Book.class (or the executable). The book will not be used in this session
The book was one of the first things I added to Mediocre some two years ago and haven't changed since. It's on top of my todo list to implement a new way to handle it. Polyglot seems like a fine option.

It should probably make it into the next version of Mediocre.
tmokonen wrote:I'm having a problem running the JET compiled executable included with the 0.333 release. It seems to be a dependency issue.
Thank you for the feedback. It's the first time I use Excelsior so I'm sure I messed it up somehow. :) I'll look into it.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

It's the first time I use Excelsior so I'm sure I messed it up somehow. I'll look into it.
Hi Jonatan,

Yes you have. :)
Later versions of 'Excelsior Jet' unfortunately dropped the ' Jetperfect Global Optimizer' feature which enables you to produce standalone exes. It was re-introduced in v6 series but only for Pro/Enterprise versions, so if you are using the standard version it won't be available.

In order for your compile to work on machines other than your own it will have to be bundled will the Jet runtime libraries (30+mb). A lot of the libraries that are auto-bundled with the exe are unneccesary/unneeded though and can be removed reducing size to about 10mb compressed.

I'll see if I can compile a working exe for you and post back here later.

Jim.
Zlaire

Post by Zlaire »

Actually I'm using the evaluation version for now which works like the enterprise edition, I just didn't realize the global optimization was needed.

After using it the executable size went from 218kb to 5381kb, but I guess it should work now then?

Edit: I compiled with the global optimization and uploaded it to Sourceforge again, I hope it works now then