Sports and spectators

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: Sports and spectators

Post by Terry McCracken »

fern wrote:Man, I am an above 140 IQ guy and nevertheless, as I said in other post, the sheer thought of looking games played by others guys bore me to death. Clearly I would prefer to look at a good basketball game.
On the contrary, I have known very limited people that can be hours looking at a game in a book. In fact most chess player I have known to date, club players I mean, are not specially distinguished by high intelligence, although they like to think they are.
Probably really smart people does not waste his time and his mental resources ruminating moves on a board.

Looking Anad Vs who-ever-be games is not better than reading Kundera regards

Fern
Actually Fern, it's all in the programming and wiring, and I think you may have explained something about why most players are only players and not lovers :wink:

The Other Side Regards...

Terry
Terry McCracken
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I'm in the other side of the spectrum, while you get bored to death while watching other people play chess, I have fun watching other people play anything. Yup, I even enjoy watching speed runs in where sometimes I sit for two hours watching how some random person beats a random videogame.

Different Worlds Regards

Uly
gerold

Post by gerold »

fern wrote:Truth is that chess is acceptable and even a passion as much as one play it. As a show, it's boring to death. At leat me I have never been capable of looking at other guys games without a yawn. Looking at games in books, the current championship, etc? No way....
I include in this boring stuff to study the game, look at opening books, etc.
Perhaps, I realize now, I am not a chess lover, but a guy that like to play games, an altogether different ball game

Discovering myself regards
Fern
Looking for that beutiful and unusual combination makes the
game very interesting.

Best to you,
Gerold.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

fern wrote:Truth is that chess is acceptable and even a passion as much as one play it. As a show, it's boring to death. At leat me I have never been capable of looking at other guys games without a yawn. Looking at games in books, the current championship, etc? No way....
I include in this boring stuff to study the game, look at opening books, etc.
Perhaps, I realize now, I am not a chess lover, but a guy that like to play games, an altogether different ball game

Discovering myself regards
Fern
You say it!
To make chess a show nothing else than possibility to watch online and chat about it with others connected with their engines is necessary. Did you watch one of the WM games now for example at chessbase reading the chat? I really got nervous not being able to kibitz publicly not having the necessary ranking.
But what about you could even bet on the opponents online, even put money on one of them or even on certain moves predicted or made?
Discovering myself too regards
Peter.
fern

Post by fern »

Lucky us that lives in a world with so much variegated people....

My best
Fern
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: Combine with other sellout sports

Post by peter »

Robert Weck wrote: I'm afraid, the GM's would be bombarded with beer cans (don't know whether they are allowed there), bottles and other objects! :lol:

I must admit, that i too would prefer "some female showing a silicone body part" during a football game :wink:

Robert
Nothing against some female showing body parts, silicone is often a matter of taste rather than an error to be proven :).
The same it is sometimes with moves and variants in chess, some look good to the audience and yet are simple errors :).
GMs bombarded with moves and variants by the online audience instead of beer cans could be some kind of freestyle to be tried, especially if the server would offer wagers and you could put your money on one or the other GM or move during the match :).
Wait, I'd start thinking about it no longer as a joke only
regards Peter.
swami

Post by swami »

Ovyron wrote:I'm in the other side of the spectrum, while you get bored to death while watching other people play chess, I have fun watching other people play anything. Yup, I even enjoy watching speed runs in where sometimes I sit for two hours watching how some random person beats a random videogame.

Different Worlds Regards

Uly
You're really sportive and enthusiastic. :wink:
swami

Post by swami »

Media is biased, Cricket fitness and training news (not even the match results) take up two whole pages in leading newspapers so much that I got frustrated and held that sport with contempt nowadays. I stopped watching live cricket matches, It's mindless waste of time. Anand winning hit the news only took up half of the front page and another half in sports coloumn. Contrast that, unfair, one would say.