Strelka = Rybka 1.0 =Fruit 2.1 = Toga?? Oh how disappointing

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Osipov Jury

Re: Strelka = Rybka = Fruit = Toga?? Oh how disappointing

Post by Osipov Jury »

Again?
Very nice.
Graham Banks

What happened to moderation?

Post by Graham Banks »

OliverBr wrote:Why doesn't Rybka's author public its sources?
People should invent their own engine!

My big respect for the great programmers Bob Hyatt and Tord Romstadt and their fantastic programms that are OPEN SOURCE and no clones.

-Oliver
Why does this thread remain when the moderators have made their position clear here?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23021
gbanksnz at gmail.com
bob

Re: What happened to moderation?

Post by bob »

I don't see the issue in this case. Strelka was known to be derived from Rybka 1, The author said so and later Vas agreed and claimed it as his own code.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

bob wrote:I don't see the issue in this case. Strelka was known to be derived from Rybka 1, The author said so and later Vas agreed and claimed it as his own code.
The subject line says that Fruit and Rybka are equal. I have no objection to evidence based discussions on such issues, but the initial post is nothing like that.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dirt wrote:
bob wrote:I don't see the issue in this case. Strelka was known to be derived from Rybka 1, The author said so and later Vas agreed and claimed it as his own code.
The subject line says that Fruit and Rybka are equal. I have no objection to evidence based discussions on such issues, but the initial post is nothing like that.
I guess this will show whether or not Zach is prepared to fit in with the moderation statement posted.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Just another post to try and get this to the 4th page.Will post again to get it to the 5th and so on. :lol:
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Swami and I agreed that it's not an accusation (and Chris is away for holidays). The thread title has a question mark, it doesn't make any statements. However, if the thread continues on this meta-discussion path it will likely get locked.
swami

Post by swami »

Zach Wegner wrote:Swami and I agreed that it's not an accusation (and Chris is away for holidays). The thread title has a question mark, it doesn't make any statements. However, if the thread continues on this meta-discussion path it will likely get locked.

Oliver had earlier written "Rybka" instead of "Rybka 1.0". I asked Oliver to give permission for mods to edit the engine name to include version number in it else we would delete the whole thread,He agreed.

Previous discussions about this same topic were allowed as it was about Rybka 1.0, as long as there no words about the commercial Rybka. I don't understand why we shouldn't allow this?

On a side note, I have on numerous occasion stated that I believe Rybka 1.0 to be genuine and completely Vas's work. But Mods can't just squash the discussion, this is not an accusation as Zach had pointed out.
OliverBr
Full name: Dr. Oliver Brausch

Post by OliverBr »

Graham Banks wrote:
OliverBr wrote:Why doesn't Rybka's author public its sources?
People should invent their own engine!

My big respect for the great programmers Bob Hyatt and Tord Romstadt and their fantastic programms that are OPEN SOURCE and no clones.

-Oliver
Why does this thread remain when the moderators have made their position clear here?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23021
Hi Graham,
sorry, I didn't want to bother anyone here, especially not you. I was quite surprised about what I read and wanted to discuss it, not more. Furthermore, as the moderators mentioned, I did start my thread with 2 question marks.
I hope, you understand.

Regards,
Oliver
OliverBr
Full name: Dr. Oliver Brausch

Re: Strelka = Rybka 1.0 =Fruit 2.1 = Toga?? Oh how disappoin

Post by OliverBr »

bob wrote:
OliverBr wrote:
bob wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Peter Aloysius wrote:You're completely wrong.

Strelka is already proven to not contain any part of Rybka code, because Yuri is smart enough to change variables name. He is also smart enough to change the order of variables declaration.

He is completely right when he think he can fool us all.
I am convinced that strelka contains parts of Rybka's code but I am
not convinced that Rybka contains part of Fruit's code(Strelka also contains very little of Fruit from my point of view and some programmers including Tord Romstad said that Strelka is an original engine after looking at the source).

I remember Tord writing that Strelka is original as his own engine.

The claim that Strelka is based on Rybka1.0 is accepted by most people and this is the reason that Strelka is not tested by organizations like CEGT.

Uri
Occasionally I almost fall out of my chair laughing at things posted here. "accepted by most people"???? :)

The _author_ of Rybka has claimed Strelka as his own code. I'd think that is evidence enough for any rational thinking person...
But the _author_ of Strelka is denying it. So it's his word against his. I am only sure of that formula:

OliThink != Crafty != Glaurung != OliThink.
I don't follow. The author of Strelka specifically stated that he "reverse-engineered" Rybka, then made some improvements.
I don't follow either. All this is very confusing.
So I have a queation to you respecting Crafty:

I use Crafty 21.4 Win32bit here on my machine and do a lot of testing with Arena. When a tournament is finished, my file system is full of files called log.* game.* *.lrn etc..etc... And they become more and more...

For what purpose do Crafty create all those files?! It doesn't use them in later games, or does it?