What is the best backgammon software?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milton

Re: What is the best backgammon software?

Post by Milton »

M ANSARI wrote:My mother is an avid backgammon player and I am trying to find the best software for that. I downloaded several but they seem to have very poor graphics and play very weak. Does anyone know what is the best classic backgammon software that is simple to use without bells and whistles that would make it hard for someone with limited computer skills?
Hi,

I own BGblitz, which has a very attractive board, is easy to use and is in the same strength category as Gnu Backgammon. In fact, I am pretty sure it beat Gnu Backgammon in an official computer tournament a couple of years ago. Even though it is not free, you get all future updates for free. Frank Berger, who wrote the program is very nice to deal with, and very responsive to questions.

Regards,
Milton
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Milton wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:My mother is an avid backgammon player and I am trying to find the best software for that. I downloaded several but they seem to have very poor graphics and play very weak. Does anyone know what is the best classic backgammon software that is simple to use without bells and whistles that would make it hard for someone with limited computer skills?
Hi,

I own BGblitz, which has a very attractive board, is easy to use and is in the same strength category as Gnu Backgammon. In fact, I am pretty sure it beat Gnu Backgammon in an official computer tournament a couple of years ago. Even though it is not free, you get all future updates for free. Frank Berger, who wrote the program is very nice to deal with, and very responsive to questions.

Regards,
Milton
BGBlitz is an excellent program, however it is still a bit behind GNU and Snowie, even Frank acknowledges this. It is currently believed that its checker play is almost on par with them, but its cube algorithms, especially in match play, aren't quite as developed. Probably not a big deal you'll say, and it is unlikely anyone below world class level (as measured by GNU or Snowie) would ever notice any discrepancies.

As to measuring them, unless you play hundreds or thousands of matches, AND factor out the variance on every roll, you will never really know since the universe required is simply too big. I conducted such an experiment (multi-ply analysis in 7-point matches) between GNU 0.14 and Snowie 4, with analysis by Joern Thyssen (who did the variance analysis), and GNU came out a fraction ahead (think 30 Elo at best), but it isn't so simple. For example, Snowie conducts prime vs prime games a bit better, and cubes point games better, whereas GNU is much better in races (near perfect), and doesn't suffer from Snowie's bearoff cube issues. A needlessly technical commentary, but the point is that they both have their strengths and weaknesses. For the price and features, there is no comparison however...
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

This is for the old timers. back in the days when Radio Shack first came out with their Model 1 they also included a video graphics program for two players to play backgammon. It was written in Basic and after a while I examined the code and hacked into it so the computer would play the human. The entire amount of code I put in was less than 2k but it played a good game but I did not address the gamming cube.
At that time a man called Scott Adams had come out with all kinds of adventure games and also a very large backgammon game. To my supprise my little program beat him all to hell. Just a case of being lucky.
Backgammon as with all programs that use a dice throw to determine the moves, no matter how advance the programmers algorithyms are is still a game of chance or luck if you will. This holds true for Yatzee and all other types of chance games.
Bill
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

This is for the old timers. back in the days when Radio Shack first came out with their Model 1 they also included a video graphics program for two players to play backgammon. It was written in Basic and after a while I examined the code and hacked into it so the computer would play the human. The entire amount of code I put in was less than 2k but it played a good game but I did not address the gamming cube.
At that time a man called Scott Adams had come out with all kinds of adventure games and also a very large backgammon game. To my supprise my little program beat him all to hell. Just a case of being lucky.
Backgammon as with all programs that use a dice throw to determine the moves, no matter how advance the programmers algorithyms are is still a game of chance or luck if you will. This holds true for Yatzee and all other types of chance games.
Bill
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Bill Rogers wrote:Backgammon as with all programs that use a dice throw to determine the moves, no matter how advance the programmers algorithyms are is still a game of chance or luck if you will.
Probability, not luck. In the short term, skill cannot overcome variance, but eventually the more skillful player will come out ahead. That is the difference between games of skill and games of chance.

I can perfectly well beat GNU Backgammon or Snowie in a match, but play enough matches and eventually the tide will change unsurmountably so.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
FrankBerger

Post by FrankBerger »

Albert Silver wrote: BGBlitz is an excellent program, however it is still a bit behind GNU and Snowie, even Frank acknowledges this. It is currently believed that its checker play is almost on par with them, but its cube algorithms, especially in match play, aren't quite as developed. Probably not a big deal you'll say, and it is unlikely anyone below world class level (as measured by GNU or Snowie) would ever notice any discrepancies.
This has been true some years ago, but BGBlitz is constantly evolving. Since mid 2005 BGBlitz uses the same math as GnuBG for cube decisions, the only differences are that BGBlitz uses other heuristics to estimate the cube liveness and that when you calculate the game tree, BGBlitz looks at the cube only after the whole game tree is evaluated whereas GnuBG looks at the cube at every node of the tree. As a consequence, if the move with the highest equity is not the best move because of a following cube decision BGBlitz will just choose the move with the highest equity and when the analyze shows that the equity justifies a double but there are no market loosers BGBlitz will double. Such situations are rare and the error in equity is usually small.
Because all current bots loose much more equity on checker play than on cube decisions I concentrate on checker play.

With the AI from 2006 BGBlitz was already very strong albeit probably maybe 10-15 rating points weaker than GnuBG and maybe 5-10 to Snowie (if at all). Both values are in my opinion upper bounds. E.g. a 4 ply analyze by GnuBG from the Amsterdam matches showed a much smaller difference (2-5 IIRC).

The recent AI from BGBlitz version 2.6 is a measurable improvement. I don't believe that anyone can currently seriously judge the strength or even quantify it in rating points. To answer the question one had to play a long seriers of matches. Torsten Schoop had done this with 2-3 computers for about half a year (with the old AI of BGBlitz) (1000 25pt matches) and the only statistical significant result was that Jellyfish plays weaker than the three others, although GnuBG was close to statistical significance being the best). There has been unfortunately some quirks in it (BGBlitz had an error in Postcraford games, GnuBG used a lousy MET, Snowie beavered sometimes ???)
Albert Silver wrote: As to measuring them, unless you play hundreds or thousands of matches, AND factor out the variance on every roll, you will never really know since the universe required is simply too big.
I guess one can do it, but it requires 1-4 years computing time I guess.
5000 7 point matches would give some indications.
Albert Silver wrote: I conducted such an experiment (multi-ply analysis in 7-point matches) between GNU 0.14 and Snowie 4, with analysis by Joern Thyssen (who did the variance analysis), and GNU came out a fraction ahead (think 30 Elo at best),
I doubt that it is so much.
Albert Silver wrote:but it isn't so simple. For example, Snowie conducts prime vs prime games a bit better, and cubes point games better, whereas GNU is much better in races (near perfect), and doesn't suffer from Snowie's bearoff cube issues. A needlessly technical commentary, but the point is that they both have their strengths and weaknesses. For the price and features, there is no comparison however...
That's the point! Each bot currently has blind spots and taking any bots analysis as gospel is misleading. Each bot has it's strength and weaknesses. Too bad that we have just so few AI and only BGBlitz AI seems to develop further....
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Cubeman wrote:I remember the Jellyfish series was very strong and seemed like a good screen etc.
Jellyfish light version 3.5 is free. I often lose to it and I wonder if it does not cheat with dices.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Philippe wrote:
Cubeman wrote:I remember the Jellyfish series was very strong and seemed like a good screen etc.
Jellyfish light version 3.5 is free. I often lose to it and I wonder if it does not cheat with dices.
I read that's usual to think that computer cheat at backgammon, simply because they pley well :-)

A lot of software let you to do manuel dice roll, may you can try that :-)
Mark

Post by Mark »

I just tried to install gnu backgammon on vista64 and got an error "missing freetype6.dll." Downloaded that file and then it was missing zlib1.dll. Downloaded that and then it was missing another file.

Has anyone gotten it to work in vista 64??

Thanks!
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Philippe wrote:
It does not cheat and it is very easy to prove it....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....