To campaign or not

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chrisw

Re: To campaign or not

Post by chrisw »

GenoM wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
GenoM wrote:
chrisw wrote:Well you better watch out and start learning some politics fast.
If the scientists had been learning some politics instead of researching for truth, you would be still living in the stone age.
If everybody had to construct a new and totally unique wheel when they needed one, we'd still be living in the stone age too. :wink:
Please explain me what politics has to do with inventing the wheel?
And in your example: are the wheels of your car yours? Or you get them from anybody else's car?
He looks at your wheels and then goes and manufactures a similar wheel in his garden shed
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

chrisw wrote:
GenoM wrote:
If the scientists had been learning some politics instead of researching for truth, you would be still living in the stone age.
The inhabitants of Hiroshima wouldn't
Hiroshima is politics, mr. Whittington, not science.
take it easy :)
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

GenoM wrote:
chrisw wrote:
GenoM wrote:
The inhabitants of Hiroshima wouldn't
Hiroshima is politics, mr. Whittington, not science.
I believe some of the atom weapon scientists have since said they wished they had not just gone on thje project because it was a technical challenge but had thought of the implications. This was also in a roundabout way Speer's effective defence against being hanged at Nuremburg. Science and technologists do need to consider implications of their work, whether you'ld call this politics or philosphy is up to you.
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

chrisw wrote:I believe some of the atom weapon scientists have since said they wished they had not just gone on thje project because it was a technical challenge but had thought of the implications. This was also in a roundabout way Speer's effective defence against being hanged at Nuremburg. Science and technologists do need to consider implications of their work, whether you'ld call this politics or philosphy is up to you.
Of course, of course! Tanks do utilize the wheel. The inventor of wheel had to think about it when inventing it. So it was not science but politics.
Nice try, mr. Whittington.
take it easy :)
kranium

Post by kranium »

Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Are you ready to be shorn yet Terry? :wink:
No, as I've said nothing warranting being sheared or fleeced.

I call it as it is.
I've always respected the way that you call it as you see it, except when you lose your rag.
I'm just calling it the way I see it too.

Cheers, Graham.
"lose you rag' ?

Is that a kiwi expression? (yuck, i won't begin to specualte on the origin)
:)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

kranium wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:
kranium wrote:this is compelling information for discussion, not an accusation of any kind, or a presentation of evidence...
"not an accusation" ?? Come on, man, get real!!
where is it dave?

here is my post:
http://64.68.157.89/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23275

have you read it?

posting information/similarities is not akin to an accusation.

Some people claim innocence by saying, we dont accuse, we dont make campaigns, we inform and investigate. It was Bob Hyatt who compared this here with the research of a murder case scene. There is blood. There is DNA. It is astonishing that Bob made such false excuses/explanations and I can see only one motif and that is the declaration of innocense for the allegedly brave collaborators of Bob,

- one Zach actually without proof (Ed Schroeder!),

- one Norm with own clone case incl. apologies etc. (Bob Hyatt to Rolf: this is normal, when someone has been caught like that, he by nature wants that nobody else could get away with a wrong-doing)

- and one *** [either the following example is allowed to post here or it might be deleted; for better selection I put it at the end of the message; the mods might delete the ***addition at the end, but why they do allow the premature pre-judging against Vas when they forbid the same against Christophe? I can only say that my source is among the highest experts of computerchess.].

1) This is no information or discussion but accusation and destruction because there is no complete proof against Vas yet. So that neither the final judgement could be made but it's all made for a months long public stir of emotions.

2) The second forbidden aspect is that the campaign is fed by the delusion that repetitive questioning also of marginal questions is finally forcing Vas himself into the debate here. This is provenly false. First this is no court and then Vas doesnt even read here.

3) A classical failure is what Bob is suggesting because of course such
examinations are allowed and important, but such processes cant be held in public because that contradicts all seriousity of a scientific research, because the damages by the whole campaign cant be repaired after such a long campaign even if someone is later shown innocent. THerefore a maximal discretion is recommended. A public presentation is possible when the complete case could be made.

*** Christophe, who allegedly has obfuscated the output of his own program Tiger (I'm forbidden to give the name of my source).
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

kranium wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Are you ready to be shorn yet Terry? :wink:
No, as I've said nothing warranting being sheared or fleeced.

I call it as it is.
I've always respected the way that you call it as you see it, except when you lose your rag.
I'm just calling it the way I see it too.

Cheers, Graham.
"lose you rag' ?

Is that a kiwi expression? (yuck, i won't begin to specualte on the origin)
:)
To "lose your rag" means to lose your composure and go ape.
In simple language, one has a temper tantrum. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com