Alice, Bullucks and Numpty chess engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norbert Raimund Leisner

Alice, Bullucks and Numpty chess engines

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello chessfriends,

under URL http://www.playwitharena.com" > "Engines, Links"
there are alphabetically a lot of chess engines which support the
protocols "WinBoard / UCI "

Now my questions:

Exists from the following programs
> Alice (Sven Reichard)
> Bullucks (Folkert van Heusden)
> Numpty (Chris Tatham) Windows 32 compiled versions with *exe-files?

Where are in these cases the downloads?

Regards,
Norbert
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Re: Alice, Bullucks and Numpty chess engines

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

swami

Post by swami »

Never heard of an engine called Bullucks, how strong is it?
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Bullucks is from the same guy that wrote CPP1 and POS. AFAIK, it's around the same level as those two engines, not strong. There doesn't seem to be a Windows executable for Bullucks on the home page, though, I only see Linux, Mac and ARM processor binaries.
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Norbert
If you had been around and payed attention you would know that Chris offered his program Numpty for free and supplied the source to every one here. The fact that it is not offered on Play Chess has nothing to do with the program, to my knowledge it is still free and has been rated on the Arena site.
What I don't understand is why you think it and others should be free and/or offer their codes or sources to anyone.
Bill
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Bill Rogers wrote:Norbert
If you had been around and payed attention you would know that Chris offered his program Numpty for free and supplied the source to every one here. The fact that it is not offered on Play Chess has nothing to do with the program, to my knowledge it is still free and has been rated on the Arena site.
What I don't understand is why you think it and others should be free and/or offer their codes or sources to anyone.
Bill
And it all began..
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

swami wrote:Never heard of an engine called Bullucks, how strong is it?
Very weak that N.E.G can defeat it...

Argh..I made a boo-boo, like Mark said there isnt a windows exe of Bullucks, but its guaranteed to be weak.
Chris Tatham

Post by Chris Tatham »

Now my questions:

Exists from the following programs
> Alice (Sven Reichard)
> Bullucks (Folkert van Heusden)
> Numpty (Chris Tatham) Windows 32 compiled versions with *exe-files?

Where are in these cases the downloads?
Thanks Tony / Bill for your replies.

Norbert, I'm not sure what the problem is here but thanks for your interest in my engine :)

The arena page links correctly to the main Numpty webpage. At the bottom of this page there is a link to the download page (which Tony posted the direct link for). There you will find the engine package with logos and source code as Bill says. I'm afraid it is only the Windows 32bit single version (this was hard enough!)

Bill - have you any news on the progress of your weak engine tourney? - I was looking forward to this - surely I can't be Mr Irrelevant again! :)
Actually, Mr Irrelevant is a later version than I made available (despite a lot of effort it was I think actually weaker and I just gave it up). Given your kind help in Numpty's development, let me know if you want it for your Basic-program collection/tourney.