Thinker MP

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Thomas Lagershausen

Re: Thinker MP

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

Thx too.

Is there a wb2uci.ini where Thinker is able to analyse?
TL
Gregory Owett

Post by Gregory Owett »

Apparently, the smp version can not be installed on a 2 cores machine.
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

SzG wrote:Hi Lance,

Thank you for the first multicore Thinker. Is there a special command to use it on a 4-core machine if I want to use only 2 cores?
I'm sorry, but at the moment, it is "fixed" at 4 cores/processors.
geots

Post by geots »

CThinker wrote:

Thank you for the first multicore Thinker. Is there a special command to use it on a 4-core machine if I want to use only 2 cores?

Lance, forget this version for a moment. Since 4.7a, you have not put out a version that shows any output at all during the game or in the PGNs. If you are going to keep doing this, which is really a pain for us testers, would you at least tell me your thinking on this and why you wont show the output?

Best,

George
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks Lance,but doesn't the 2 cored guys deserve a version working on their machines :!: :?:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Im on a Dual core duo i guess for now i just test SP version. George you can use old chessbase adapter to see what thinker thinks after each move. Check our discussion forum under too many thinkers :)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

It would be useful if Thinker sent this information before moving.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Why can't Thinker just work like any other engine so that it display information in a Chessbase GUI or the like?

I mean, almost _every_ engine does this, from the simples to the most advanced.

I can't see a reason why this is disabled in Thinker...

Thinker is probably my favorite engine and it's hard to use it for anything when it doesn't display any information on the screen what so ever.

Please, just please, make Thinker work like the old 4.7a version.

Best Regards,
Martin
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

geots wrote:
CThinker wrote:

Lance, forget this version for a moment. Since 4.7a, you have not put out a version that shows any output at all during the game or in the PGNs. If you are going to keep doing this, which is really a pain for us testers, would you at least tell me your thinking on this and why you wont show the output?

Best,

George
There is very little code that is common between the 4.x and the 5.x versions.

The PV output of Thinker is simply from the hash table. There is no giant PV array in Thinker. You can also see this kind of simplicity in enignes like MicroMax.

Cheers...
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks Lance,but doesn't the 2 cored guys deserve a version working on their machines :!: :?:
For simplicity of code, I did not want to have to deal with the complexity of configurable number of threads. This means that if I want to run with some N number of threads, I would have to recompile the code. It would be a little messy to release 8 binaries (like thinker-smp1, thinker-smp2).

For the moment, please bear with this limitation, until I am able to code the support for configurable number of threads.