Thinker is getting on my nerves

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Damir
Posts: 2140
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by Damir » Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 pm

No PV output, and no UCI support.
If it was UCI, I could probably live with the engine showing no move in analyse and playing mode.
None of the WB2UCI compiles I have tried so far are working.
When is Lance going to do something about it?, if at least not for PV output, than at least he can compile his engine as UCI.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu May 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Damir wrote:No PV output, and no UCI support.
If it was UCI, I could probably live with the engine showing no move in analyse and playing mode.
None of the WB2UCI compiles I have tried so far are working.
When is Lance going to do something about it?, if at least not for PV output, than at least he can compile his engine as UCI.
The guy was kind enough to release this awesome version of his engine and responded to a lot of issues regarding bug fixes,so let us not get so harsh over him after all....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

glorfindel

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by glorfindel » Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Damir wrote: than at least he can compile his engine as UCI.
What do you mean by that?
In order for Thinker to become a UCI compatible engine, its author has to write new code for it, which means extra effort. It not a matter of "compiling the program differently".
I think you are asking too much, being someone who has a great chess program free of charge.

Martin Thoresen
Posts: 1833
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by Martin Thoresen » Thu May 22, 2008 10:59 pm

I don't care about UCI, I just care about PV output in a Chessbase GUI. That would be awesome.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2524
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by Ovyron » Thu May 22, 2008 11:15 pm

I would be happy if it showed the position's score. Otherwise it's very hard to use it for analysis.

James Constance
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:36 pm
Location: UK

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by James Constance » Fri May 23, 2008 2:28 am

Damir wrote:No PV output, and no UCI support.
If it was UCI, I could probably live with the engine showing no move in analyse and playing mode.
None of the WB2UCI compiles I have tried so far are working.
When is Lance going to do something about it?, if at least not for PV output, than at least he can compile his engine as UCI.
perhaps it would be appropriate to preface your requests with some expression of gratitude... :?:

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by geots » Fri May 23, 2008 5:49 am

Martin T wrote:I don't care about UCI, I just care about PV output in a Chessbase GUI. That would be awesome.

Martin, it has to be purposely done, and not just an error or bug, because 4.7a shows it all- and it is just one version below. I dont know his reason- but it is no accident.

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by Sylwy » Fri May 23, 2008 6:09 am

Damir wrote:
None of the WB2UCI compiles I have tried so far are working.

Hi !

I think you are confused concerning the translation WB to UCI. You need:

1. a Wb2Uci adapter. Try please:
http://home.online.no/~malin/sjakk/Wb2Uci/#download

Use the 1.3 B21 version;

2.a Wb2Uci.eng file. Most probable here you are in error. Try please:

[ENGINE]
Name=Thinker 5.1e-32 passive
Author=Lance Perkins, Canada
Filename=Wb2Uci.exe

[OPTIONS]
Program=Thinker51E-p32.exe hashsize=7
Ponder=false

For me all is OK ( excepting the PV- of course................)

Regards,
Silvian

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by geots » Fri May 23, 2008 6:23 am

Sylwy wrote:
Damir wrote:
None of the WB2UCI compiles I have tried so far are working.

Hi !

I think you are confused concerning the translation WB to UCI. You need:

1. a Wb2Uci adapter. Try please:
http://home.online.no/~malin/sjakk/Wb2Uci/#download

Use the 1.3 B21 version;

2.a Wb2Uci.eng file. Most probable here you are in error. Try please:

[ENGINE]
Name=Thinker 5.1e-32 passive
Author=Lance Perkins, Canada
Filename=Wb2Uci.exe

[OPTIONS]
Program=Thinker51E-p32.exe hashsize=7
Ponder=false

For me all is OK ( excepting the PV- of course................)

Regards,
Silvian

Ruxy, if he doesnt understand the concept of the adapters, the way you have the file name listed is really going to confuse him- because that wont work. He wont know what he has to actually change the file name to.

Best,

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Thinker is getting on my nerves

Post by Sylwy » Fri May 23, 2008 1:11 pm

geots wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Damir wrote:
None of the WB2UCI compiles I have tried so far are working.

Hi !

I think you are confused concerning the translation WB to UCI. You need:

1. a Wb2Uci adapter. Try please:
http://home.online.no/~malin/sjakk/Wb2Uci/#download

Use the 1.3 B21 version;

2.a Wb2Uci.eng file. Most probable here you are in error. Try please:

[ENGINE]
Name=Thinker 5.1e-32 passive
Author=Lance Perkins, Canada
Filename=Wb2Uci.exe

[OPTIONS]
Program=Thinker51E-p32.exe hashsize=7
Ponder=false

For me all is OK ( excepting the PV- of course................)

Regards,
Silvian

Ruxy, if he doesnt understand the concept of the adapters, the way you have the file name listed is really going to confuse him- because that wont work. He wont know what he has to actually change the file name to.

Best,

Right !

It's only a structural example. Give me -please-a concrete version and the hash expected and a magnificent Wb2Uci.eng file will be ready instant .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Silvian

Post Reply