Pocket Chess Database

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

James Constance

Pocket Chess Database

Post by James Constance »

I've created a simple pgn utility for pocket pc. As it more or less seems to do what I expect it to do, I've made a beta version available for download. :shock:

http://pocketchess.50webs.com/
meschle

Re: Pocket Chess Database

Post by meschle »

James Constance wrote:I've created a simple pgn utility for pocket pc. As it more or less seems to do what I expect it to do, I've made a beta version available for download. :shock:

http://pocketchess.50webs.com/
Thanks - i use my pocket pc for chess alot - looks good!

Will let you know what i think when i have tested it out - cheers!
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
meschle

Post by meschle »

On testing - some pgn's come up with an error message - did you test on a no of diff pgn's?
To make it useful for me - it needs a chessboard to playback moves of the game - i hope these things can be fixed\done as it could be a useful app! cheers
Regards Mark

James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Thanks for your feedback, Mark.

I did try a number of pgns. The only times I got error messages were when trying to open a large pgn file of several thousand games that had already been indexed; I assumed errors were created when the tables were written to the index file because I was using too much RAM (I only have around 12Mb to play with on my PPC!), and something unpredictable was happening. So when I tried to load the index file into the tables, some fields were in incompatible formats, such as having letters in the ELO field, causing the error message. However, this didn't happen if I limited the number of games indexed to around 2000, which seems to be the limit for my PPC. But perhaps it's something different in your case? If you email me a pgn you've had problems with, I'll look into it.

I agree that a board to playback games would be nice when I get round to it! (Have you tried the save/append game to Clipbase? - although not ideal, it works pretty quickly for when I want to replay games in another program.)
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I have had similar error messages when using PocketFritz2 when trying to open a large database such as Polgars 5334 chess problems.But when I use PocketGrandmaster 3.0, it has no problem.Must be some limitation of the application since these are both run on the same PPC.But when the PGN file is about 1000 positions such as 1001 brilliant ways to checkmate PGN file then PF2 can handle it easily.
meschle

Post by meschle »

James Constance wrote:Thanks for your feedback, Mark.

I did try a number of pgns. The only times I got error messages were when trying to open a large pgn file of several thousand games that had already been indexed; I assumed errors were created when the tables were written to the index file because I was using too much RAM (I only have around 12Mb to play with on my PPC!), and something unpredictable was happening. So when I tried to load the index file into the tables, some fields were in incompatible formats, such as having letters in the ELO field, causing the error message. However, this didn't happen if I limited the number of games indexed to around 2000, which seems to be the limit for my PPC. But perhaps it's something different in your case? If you email me a pgn you've had problems with, I'll look into it.

I agree that a board to playback games would be nice when I get round to it! (Have you tried the save/append game to Clipbase? - although not ideal, it works pretty quickly for when I want to replay games in another program.)
Thanks james - some of the pgn's that caused errors were small - all open fine in pocketgrandmaster.
pm me your email addy and i'll send over the w\e.

I'll try clipbase - i didnt spot that - cheers :D
Regards Mark