Is there any chance to get bright 0.3a?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George Bodkin

Re: Is there any chance to get bright 0.3a?

Post by George Bodkin »

I am interested

George
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

That's why I didn't post to show my interest, but I sent a private message to show my interest ;)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Ovyron wrote:That's why I didn't post to show my interest, but I sent a private message to show my interest ;)
So you apply double standard,eh :P
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

F.Huber wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Did I say that I am also interested :mrgreen: :?:
Did I say that I am not interested :mrgreen: :?:

At least not in a program where the author needs 100 postings like "Yeah, I can´t live without your famous program!" before he is willing to release it ... ;)
Nothing wrong with positive support and encouragement for an engine author Franz! :P :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Allard Siemelink

Post by Allard Siemelink »

ok everybody, the message is clear 8-)

All who are interested in bright 0.3a should stay tuned for an announcement within the next couple of days or so...
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Allard Siemelink wrote:ok everybody, the message is clear 8-)

All who are interested in bright 0.3a should stay tuned for an announcement within the next couple of days or so...
Thanks Allard,check out your PM please :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Allard Siemelink

Paul Bedrey wrote:
Allard Siemelink wrote:
Anyway, I guess I could release bright 0.3a as a public version if there is enough interest. Anybody?
Yes, Allard I would be interested. Bright had a very interesting style and was quite good in testsuites. Unfortunately I could never get it to work on my Quad 6600. I thought it was because of Vista however I've since installed XP pro x64 and it still gives a message "bright 0.2c has encountered a problem" in Arena. It works on my dual 6600 though. Perhaps its how it was compiled. I hope I have better luck with bright 0.3 since I like aggressive engines. Thanks again for your engine.

Paul
Dann Corbit just reported this bug: if the egbb.dir INI-file entry is not correct, bright will crash on startup.

If that's not it, could you send/post the output that you see when you start bright from a console window?
Paul Bedrey

Post by Paul Bedrey »

Allard Siemelink wrote:
Dann Corbit just reported this bug: if the egbb.dir INI-file entry is not correct, bright will crash on startup.

If that's not it, could you send/post the output that you see when you start bright from a console window?
Yes, that's the message I get when I start it in console. I copied the bitbases to my C and now it works. Thanks!

Paul
Paul Bedrey

Post by Paul Bedrey »

Allard, now that it works I can see that Bright must be 32-bit only. I get an average speed-up of 194% going from my Dual to the Quad. With Rybka I get a 260% increase when using the 64-bit version. Would it be possible to include a 64-bit compile for the next release also?

Paul
Allard Siemelink

Paul Bedrey wrote:Allard, now that it works I can see that Bright must be 32-bit only. I get an average speed-up of 194% going from my Dual to the Quad. With Rybka I get a 260% increase when using the 64-bit version. Would it be possible to include a 64-bit compile for the next release also?

Paul
Bright is not a bitboard engine, so the speed-up for 64 bit will be less than Rybka's speedup on 64 bit.
Unfortunately I do not own a 64 bit machine and I do not think my gcc supports 64 bit compiles. I'll keep it in mind for a future release, though.