Match Anand - Kramnik is on

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Match Anand - Kramnik is on

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Some months away, but Vladimir Kramnik and Viswanathan Anand will play a match for the World Championship in October 2008 in Bonn, Germany.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4334

Good to see that there is now an agreement to play after some antagonistic statements from both Kramnik and Anand and some difficult negotiations it is said. I think it is good for chess. The winner will play a match against the winner of what is something of a challenger match between Topalov and recent winner in Khanty-Mansiysk, "comeback kid'' Gata Kamsky. I don't know if that match is already scheduled somewhere? Could be interesting matches!

Eelco
S.Taylor

Re: Match Anand - Kramnik is on

Post by S.Taylor »

All old names, already! (like it's just to find out who's the first among equals).
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Some months away, but Vladimir Kramnik and Viswanathan Anand will play a match for the World Championship in October 2008 in Bonn, Germany.

Good to see that there is now an agreement to play after some antagonistic statements from both Kramnik and Anand and some difficult negotiations it is said. I think it is good for chess. The winner will play a match against the winner of what is something of a challenger match between Topalov and recent winner in Khanty-Mansiysk, "comeback kid'' Gata Kamsky. I don't know if that match is already scheduled somewhere? Could be interesting matches!

Eelco
12 Games..... Dwindling tradition.... Glad for the match, but would have preferred a return to the real matches of the past.

Albert
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Albert Silver wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:Some months away, but Vladimir Kramnik and Viswanathan Anand will play a match for the World Championship in October 2008 in Bonn, Germany.

Eelco
12 Games..... Dwindling tradition.... Glad for the match, but would have preferred a return to the real matches of the past.

Albert
Yep...there should be 24 games head to head to decide who the WCC is.

Best,
Terry
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Kamsky will play a semi-final vs Topalov. The winner will challenge Anand or Kramnik ?
Koroljow

Post by Koroljow »

I totally agree with Albert.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Koroljow wrote:I totally agree with Albert.
Hello Walter and all, yes, I agree that a 24 game match would be nice. But I think maybe it plays a role that the winner of this match has to play another match shortly after against the winner of the Kamsky-Topalov match. If that match would also be held over 24 games then I think it would be unfair to whoever is the winner of the first match, having to play 48 games in a row.

It could be that the next match will be a considerable time later though because Kamsky and Topalov are to play each other only after the Anand-Kramnik match so then we are probably somewhere mid 2009 already.

This format is already more favourable to Kramnik than to Anand I think, because Kramnik really did not have to pull out all the stops in Mexico, he already had the right to play the winner of the tournament granted to him by Fide, but there is no revanche right in case Anand loses to Kramnik in 2008. The next cycle will be with more matches I believe.

Regards, Eelco
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Eelco
It is certainly a step up from that awful 'knockout' format.

What will the time control for the match be?
mike860

Post by mike860 »

Dann Corbit wrote:It is certainly a step up from that awful 'knockout' format.

What will the time control for the match be?
From the article: "The match will consist of twelve games, played under classical time controls, in the period from October 11 to October 28, 2008."
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

It is certainly a step up from that awful 'knockout' format.
u betcha..... :idea:

Tony,

y izzit "d gd ole days.... d gd ole days...."

arent there any gd days now? :?:

:arrow: :idea: and the days now, will be
d gd ole days in a yr or 2.... :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................