ChessGUI and Carrera, Embassy, Janus

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: ChessGUI and Carrera, Embassy, Janus

Post by hgm »

smrf wrote:
hgm wrote:... Fortunately the existing WinBoard protocol already offered complete support for all 10x8 variants ...
Well, but I am not talking of the support of variants by some fine tricks but of compatible protocol extensions. I am not interested in incompatible extensions.

Reinhard.
Well, as I said, no protocol extensions were needed, nor made. And it runs like a charm. So I am not sure what you are talking about.
smrf

Post by smrf »

hgm wrote:... Well, as I said, no protocol extensions were needed, nor made. And it runs like a charm. So I am not sure what you are talking about. ...
Indeed, this is a frequent problem.

Reinhard.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, if you experience that as a frequent problem, you better fix it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Problems are there to be solved!
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

hgm wrote:
Very wise. As a GUI that is not compatible with any existing engine but one, is of no use whatsoever...

Fortunately the existing WinBoard protocol already offered complete support for all 10x8 variants, and no protocol extension were needed to run the currently existing 10x8 WB engines (ArcBishop, Chancellor, Fairy-Max, TSCP-Gothic) with full functionality in both protocol version 1 and 2 umder WinBoard_F.

It is well known that solutions which differ from Reinhard's proposals are "incompatible". Apart from using the WB protocol, which needs no extensions to support 10x8 chess, ArcBishop and Chancellor also use the UCI protocol without the compatibility problems of Smirf.
Soon we will have 3 more "incompatible" 10x8 engines : Joker80, Timea, Vortex (if Timea loses its private status).

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
hgm

Post by hgm »

This reminds me of the joke of the man who was driving on the highway, and hears on radio: "this is an emergency traffic warning: there is a car driving on route 66 against the traffic, in the wrong lane. All drivers in that area, please be extremely cautious!", and then says: "One???! I have just seen several thousand!". :lol: :lol: :lol:
smrf

Post by smrf »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:... It is well known that solutions which differ from Reinhard's proposals are "incompatible". ...
This makes the basic problem obvious. Instead of focussing existing problems, immediately a witch-hunt against my person is started.

Indeed it does not make any sense to discuss problems with people, who are not able to see them at all.

Thus the bare intention of Matthias' statement on this subject underlines the futility of such attempts to solve the problems related to extended protocols.

Reinhard.
hgm

Post by hgm »

smrf wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:... It is well known that solutions which differ from Reinhard's proposals are "incompatible". ...
This makes the basic problem obvious. Instead of focussing existing problems, immediately a witch-hunt against my person is started.

Indeed it does not make any sense to discuss problems with people, who are not able to see them at all.

Thus the bare intention of Matthias' statement on this subject underlines the futility of such attempts to solve the problems related to extended protocols.

Reinhard.
Well, Reinhard, you seem to forget that the previous postings in this thread are still up there for people to read. And that it was YOU who started, when invited to focus on an existing problem and discuss it, choose to come with a smart-ass reply in stead of starting a constructive discussion....

As far as I am concerned: I did not find a single problem in using existing WinBoard protocol in communicating with the 10x8 engines. I even consulted you in WinBoard forum what would be the most compatible way of implementing the 'setboard' command, which transfers a FEN to the engine, and followed your recommendation.

If there is any character assassination going on here, it is mostly suicide on your part! :wink:
smrf

Post by smrf »

Good luck to your project.

Reinhard.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

smrf wrote: Indeed it does not make any sense to discuss problems with people, who are not able to see them at all.

Reinhard.

How should we see problems that don't exist :D ?
The proof that WB needs no extensions is that the chess community is already enjoying exciting tournaments with TSCP_Gothic, Fairy-Max, ArcBishop, etc under 2 different GUIs without extending protocols.
Will Smirf soon join us ?

Best regards,
Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
GothicChessInventor

Post by GothicChessInventor »

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0196692877

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0196923936

There are two auctions going on now from a book distributor in Canada. The first 100 copies of "My 61 Memorable Games" are identified as SPECIAL EDITION, FIRST PRINTING on the inside book cover. Each auction is for 50 of these books.