Buy Rybka 2 series or not?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dusty147

Buy Rybka 2 series or not?

Post by Dusty147 »

I have single processor computers and most likely will not get a multiple processor computer for a year or year and a half. I have Rybka 1.2f, HIARCS 11, Shredder 9, Fritz 9 and several of the free download engines, such as Fruit 2.3.1 and Naum 2.0.

Is it worth while to get the Rybka series 2 engines, while I will have the single processors? If I would get a really significant improvement, I could see buying Rybka 2 series, otherwise I don't like the idea of throwing my hard-earned money away! What do you think?

I have a chess rating of about 1750 and primarily like to use the engines to analzye my muddling threw type of chess games.

Dusty147
Graham Banks

Re: Buy Rybka 2 series or not?

Post by Graham Banks »

Dusty147 wrote:I have single processor computers and most likely will not get a multiple processor computer for a year or year and a half. I have Rybka 1.2f, HIARCS 11, Shredder 9, Fritz 9 and several of the free download engines, such as Fruit 2.3.1 and Naum 2.0.

Is it worth while to get the Rybka series 2 engines, while I will have the single processors? If I would get a really significant improvement, I could see buying Rybka 2 series, otherwise I don't like the idea of throwing my hard-earned money away! What do you think?

I have a chess rating of about 1750 and primarily like to use the engines to analzye my muddling threw type of chess games.

Dusty147
Rybka on a single-cpu is still a great deal stronger than the opposition.
However, Rybka 2 has been around a while now, so it might be better to wait for Rybka 3.

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Post by tjfroh »

Dennis,

Get Rybka 2.3.2 because it plays a more sophisticated game than Rybka 1.2. You will think that you are playing a much stronger program. It is worth the small amount of money for the better program.

Tim Frohlick

PS Buy it from Your Move to show your support of this site.
Dusty147 wrote:I have single processor computers and most likely will not get a multiple processor computer for a year or year and a half. I have Rybka 1.2f, HIARCS 11, Shredder 9, Fritz 9 and several of the free download engines, such as Fruit 2.3.1 and Naum 2.0.

Dusty147
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Dusty147 wrote: I have a chess rating of about 1750 and primarily like to use the engines to analzye my muddling threw type of chess games.

Dusty147
I think I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Do you mean you think you get into positions where there might be a brilliant sacrifice but you cannot work it out, and so you feed it into the computer to support you previous play by showing you what a great sacrifice you have from your wierd position?

Either that, and/or you like to see how it sorts out the terrible mess you have got yourself into?
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

tjfroh wrote:Dennis,

Get Rybka 2.3.2 because it plays a more sophisticated game than Rybka 1.2. You will think that you are playing a much stronger program. It is worth the small amount of money for the better program.

Tim Frohlick

Is that the exact answer to his question? Perhaps he wants to know if Rybka 3 will be even more sophisticated feeling?
Dusty147 wrote:Dusty147
Mark

Post by Mark »

No doubt Rybka 2.3.2 is very good, but by waiting 2 or 3 months you could get Rybka 3.0, which will be even better.

Regards,

Mark
tjfroh wrote:Dennis,

Tim Frohlick

Dusty147
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Dusty147 wrote: I have Rybka 1.2f, HIARCS 11, Shredder 9, Fritz 9 and several of the free download engines, such as Fruit 2.3.1 and Naum 2.0.

- Isn`t this enough?

- Wait and buy a new computer first.

- IMHO if you`re at 1750 you should spend your money buying some tactics software, rather than buying another engine. ChessUSA have many of them to sell - buy here to support our forum. I`d recomend CT-ART or Encyclopaedia of Chess Combinations from Convekta.

Look that probably the analysis your computer is making now with your current engines are way better (am I wrong?) than you can analyse, at least tactically. Maybe this set of engines is so good that you will not need to buy any new version in at least 2 years, unless your game play increases 400 or more in rating... and as far as I know Shredder`s endgame analysis is very good, you won`t need anything better too soon. Although they are all strong, you`re going to need some help with strategy and middlegame planning, and that`s where computers fail. Get some advice from stronger players if you can ask them (rated 2200 or above).

Dusty147
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

If you have money and you like it. Then why not.? Who knows that stronger rating will come with the next purchase of a stronger program.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Oh, so you want a simple answer, under the assumption that you are not desperate, and CAN wait up to 3 months?
Obviously, I would have said, wait for Rybka 3.

But if you can't wait that long, and are EXTREMELY desperate, then get the 2 series NOW.
I mean, the 2 series HAS been known to have got stronger, the way it stands now.

Is it worth the money? Depends how desperate you are for something which is very slightly stronger, and to have it NOW, and not in three months time.

Actually, if you need it immeadiately stronger in 3 months exactly and cannot wait another 3 months and a day, or even a bit longer, then that might also indicate getting the 2 series right away, because the 2 series took a few months before it was performing better than 1.2f from the one series.

WHY should it be so desperate? That's wasn't the discussion here, was it?!
But if it was, then what might be a reason?

1). Expecting to die very soon? I'd say give up chess right away and spend the rest of life in prayer, health care, family, good deeds, spiritual growth and study.
2). Expecting to be very sick soon? If you simply want to see the best you will ever see, whilst you are still at home and not in hospital, so get it now and that's it. If you want to sharpen your mind, don't bother doing itthis way, if you will soon be too ill to appeciate anything anymore.
3). Expecting to be forced to be away from chess, for a long time, and want to see the best there is before you have to give it up for a liong period. Yes, get it now.
4) need a sparing partner for a tournament which will take place within the next 6 months, then, OK, get it NOW. You might earn an extra half point due to the superior experience of sparring with te 2 series NOW. (As well as doing othe things. If you have limited funds, and its either or, then maybe spend on some better training method.
5) If correspondence play is of critical importance in your life, for some reason, and you need the computer for help. get it now!
6) If you are very fascinated to see something better than what you have, Don't let that take up your hard earned money. You will get more value for that money if you wait a little longer, and you will then have even MORE fascination. Otherwise you will be stuck with series 2 and no money to buy series 3.
And even if you will get both, the series 3 will not be so interesting in contrast with 1 anymore, having already seen half way with series 2.

I only wrote all this because I'm a bit addicted to levels and this kind of thinking. Otherwise, I would have expected you to do it for yourself.
Dusty147

Post by Dusty147 »

I think that I will wait until the Rybka 3 series comes out or possibly sit it out until 2008-09 when I will get a multiple processor computer(s).
Spending gobs of money to win 2 extra chess games a year seems like a bad investment...................buttttttttttttt..........all these new programs are certainly attractive.

Tempted, but still resisting.....for now.......

Dusty147