Best Chess Engine (other than rybka & zappa) ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Best mp Chess Engine (other than rybka & zappa)

Shredder
22%
Fritz
7%
Hiarcs
26%
Junior
4%
Naum
19%
Loop
6%
Loop
6%
Spike
2%
Others
8%

Total votes: 89

Uri Blass

Re: Best Chess Engine (other than rybka & zappa) ?

Post by Uri Blass »

Zagalo wrote:According to WOL 2007, Hiarcs at the top and Naum at the bottom http://www.chess-portal.de/html/tabelle.html
Naum2.1 played there and it seems that it used inferior hardware
relative to Hiarcs.

Intel Core Duo 6300@ 1.86 MHz / 1 Giga Ram against
Quad QX 6700 (8. t ) of hiarcs based on
http://www.chess-portal.de/html/teilnehmer.html

Uri
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I was surprised to find this result of the poll, because with the exception of fast blitz (40/4m), Naum 2.2 is clearly 3rd strongest and ahead of Hiarcs and Shredder(10), in playing games.

But maybe people were thinking of analysis and of hash learning? I know Hiarcs and Shredder have very good hash learning, Rybka 232a too if engine option "preserve analysis" is activated (which if off by default). It is important for interactive analysis. But does Naum not have such a good hash learning?

(That would explain to me why Hiarcs and Shredder received more votes)
Regards, Mike
geots

Post by geots »

Zagalo wrote:What engine do you think is the best, in term of strength and analysis, other than rybka and zappa?

These are the latest deep/mp engine versions

I didnt include rybka and zappa because i think we had enough of them already!

Sorry if i missed something :)

From the way i read your poll, we are only talking about Rybka and Zappa on multi core- quad at the very least. Because when you get below those hardware specs- Zappa is just another engine bunched in there with Naum, Fritz, Hiarcs, Shredder, Strelka, Toga, Fruit, etc. It would need binoculars to see Rybka.

Regards
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

geots wrote:Zappa is just another engine bunched in there with Naum, Fritz, Hiarcs, Shredder, Strelka, Toga, Fruit, etc. It would need binoculars to see Rybka.

Regards
If by "binoculars" you mean a good book that goes with its style instead of generic books, then yes.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
geots

Post by geots »

Ovyron wrote:
geots wrote:Zappa is just another engine bunched in there with Naum, Fritz, Hiarcs, Shredder, Strelka, Toga, Fruit, etc. It would need binoculars to see Rybka.

Regards
If by "binoculars" you mean a good book that goes with its style instead of generic books, then yes.
I will make you an even deal. Run both engines on 1CPU. You can pick the best book you want for Zappa. Then just flip a coin as to which generic book to use for Rybka- nothing special. Run a 50 game match at 40/40 repeating. Then sit back, relax and watch the slaughter.

Regards
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

geots wrote:I will make you an even deal. Run both engines on 1CPU. You can pick the best book you want for Zappa. Then just flip a coin as to which generic book to use for Rybka- nothing special. Run a 50 game match at 40/40 repeating. Then sit back, relax and watch the slaughter.

Regards
Ok, I will do:

Zappa Mexico with Tourbook II learning ON
Rybka 2.3.2a with Perfect 12.33.ctg

It will take a while, though.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
geots

Post by geots »

Ovyron wrote:
geots wrote:I will make you an even deal. Run both engines on 1CPU. You can pick the best book you want for Zappa. Then just flip a coin as to which generic book to use for Rybka- nothing special. Run a 50 game match at 40/40 repeating. Then sit back, relax and watch the slaughter.

Regards
Ok, I will do:

Zappa Mexico with Tourbook II learning ON
Rybka 2.3.2a with Perfect 12.33.ctg

It will take a while, though.

Please dont forget me when you are finished. Post the results. It will be interesting.

Regards,

George