So you want a GUI that supports Linux....well.....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: So you want a GUI that supports Linux....well.....

Post by Dann Corbit »

SCID and Jose both work on Linux.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Dann Corbit wrote:SCID and Jose both work on Linux.
They do indeed and they are both completely different programs......

Christopher
menniepals

Re: Arena for Linux...

Post by menniepals »

I haven't tried all winboard/uci engines under Linux/Wine/Arena. I can't say that they all will. But those ones under the Arena package have no problems running.
shiv

Post by shiv »

If you have a lot of RAM (>1GB perhaps), tree search in SCID is very fast and approaches the speed of chess assistant after 1 or 2 initial searches.

Shredder Classic under wine is also a great solution for linux users seeking a good GUI (without database searches). I have used it succesfully many times. Of course, the lack of database search is a limitation.
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

shiv wrote:...
Shredder Classic under wine is also a great solution...
It has as all Windows binaries under wine the crashing after an unknown number of games disease.

But why using it under wine when Shredder classic is available as Linux native?

And it is a very good one!

Volker
shiv

Post by shiv »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
shiv wrote:...
Shredder Classic under wine is also a great solution...
It has as all Windows binaries under wine the crashing after an unknown number of games disease.

But why using it under wine when Shredder classic is available as Linux native?

And it is a very good one!

Volker
Interesting, I did not notice this before. However, I hardly do many computer-computer games. What is the problem exactly (does it happen when you do computer-computer games)?

I saw the linux native version of Shredder. To be honest, I am not as impressed by it. It has good graphics and all basic functions. Compared to the windows version, it is rather crippled. You cannot edit books, you cannot handle large PGNs and you cannot do autoplay amongst computer programs.
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

shiv wrote:... What is the problem exactly (does it happen when you do computer-computer games)?
As I wrote: it is crashing, hanging, freezing, however you would like to name it.
shiv wrote:... Compared to the windows version, it is rather crippled...
Surprisingly for a Java application. Sounds by crippling it intentionally. Why should someone do that? To be honest I'm to lazy to install it and compare.

And in general I'm not interested in Windows/Linux bashing.

The engine coming with Shredder classic is excellent for some purposes. I'm going to write something about it when I'm recovered from poker addiction.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Volker Pittlik wrote: Surprisingly for a Java application. Sounds by crippling it intentionally. Why should someone do that? To be honest I'm to lazy to install it and compare. .
It is crippled only because Stefan did not have enough time to port all features of the windows version of Shredder Classic to the java (Linux) version. I hope the next version of Shredder on Linux will have more features ported.