Pocket Fritz 3 took home 4th place

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Pocket Fritz 3 took home 4th place

Post by AdminX »

How's this for representing the PDA world. Not bad at all for a field of 2400 plus rated players.

http://www.ajedrezmartelli.org.ar/magis ... rcosur.htm
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Pocket Fritz 3 took home 4th place

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks Ted for the interesting reading :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

AdminX wrote:How's this for representing the PDA world. Not bad at all for a field of 2400 plus rated players.

It is very bad because pocket fritz missed mate in 1 in one of the games

Uri
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Uri Blass wrote:
AdminX wrote:How's this for representing the PDA world. Not bad at all for a field of 2400 plus rated players.

Uri
Yeah, so I don't see how that takes away from the overall result. Even Rybka had problems in the endgame.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Uri Blass »

AdminX wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

Uri
Yeah, so I don't see how that takes away from the overall result. Even Rybka had problems in the endgame.
This could be impressive result many years ago but not today.

Fritz3 on p90 already achieved the IM norm in 1994 and we could expect programs today to be at least 300 elo stronger than Fritz3 based only on software.

Hardware of the PDA may be slower than p90(I do not know and I do not dare to guess based on the mhz speed after I was wrong one time about it) but I still think that the hardware cannot be an excuse for more than 100 elo loss relative to fritz3 so I think that every result that is less than a GM norm for a PDA today is a big failure.

Uri
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

As it sounds like the program had some beta problems (which will presumably be fixed), it's a respectable score. I'd expect the latest engines on a 624Mhz processor to be 2550-2600 at a guess :?: and they will probably do well against players who don't take them to be so good.

I've been playing a fair amount against Toga II 1.2.1 in pocket grandmaster - it plays some darn fine chess! :)
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

James Constance wrote:As it sounds like the program had some beta problems (which will presumably be fixed), it's a respectable score. I'd expect the latest engines on a 624Mhz processor to be 2550-2600 at a guess :?: and they will probably do well against players who don't take them to be so good.

I've been playing a fair amount against Toga II 1.2.1 in pocket grandmaster - it plays some darn fine chess! :)
ploease do not tell me mhz but equivalent to pc mhz.

I would like to know if it is faster or slower than the p90Mhz that fritz3 used in 1994 and what is the speed difference.

Note that I expect Toga on a 624 mhz pc to perform at 2800 level
but I understand that pocket pc mhz mean practically less so on pocket pc it may be only 2700.

Uri
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Uri Blass wrote:
James Constance wrote:As it sounds like the program had some beta problems (which will presumably be fixed), it's a respectable score. I'd expect the latest engines on a 624Mhz processor to be 2550-2600 at a guess :?: and they will probably do well against players who don't take them to be so good.

ploease do not tell me mhz but equivalent to pc mhz.

I would like to know if it is faster or slower than the p90Mhz that fritz3 used in 1994 and what is the speed difference.

Note that I expect Toga on a 624 mhz pc to perform at 2800 level
but I understand that pocket pc mhz mean practically less so on pocket pc it may be only 2700.

Uri
Correct, they are not the same. I recall when I had a 200Mhz Strongarm PPC the NPS were approx 40 times slower than a 1200Mhz Athlon.

If you'd like to suggest a couple of positions for Toga II 1.2.1, I could tell you what the approx NPS are on my 300Mhz strongarm, and perhaps we could compare that to your PC?