Rybka-Junior match is off.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Reply from Sergey Abramov

Post by AdminX »

I agree, I think Junior is weaker than Rybka overall. Which is why I understood they (Team Junior) wanting a guaranteed share in the prize fund only as a condition. By the way, I think you will see Junior vs Shredder hosted by FIDE or Chessbase before you will see Junior vs Rybka in a big time match up. Time will tell, hard for me to watch a match when it is an uneven match up. :wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Uri Blass »

M ANSARI wrote:Yes, Sergey seems to think that it would be very easy to make the program write logs that do not show cheating. Since they are putting up the money, I guess they have the right to ask for conditions that they are comfortable with. I still think this match will take place somehow.

As for the strength of Junior ... well ofcourse if compared to Rybka, it is very much weaker. But Junior has always seemed to play above its rating in tournaments. Usually the Junior team is very well prepared for matches ... a good example would be its match against Deep Fritz. Deep Fritz probably is the stronger engine, but it was beaten quite soundly by Junior which was much more prepared for the match (better hardware and better opening book).
I believe that Deep Fritz is the weaker engine when many processors are used so there is no evidence to the claim that Fritz is the weaker engine
for rich people who can use a machine with many processors.

Deep Fritz seems to be weaker when more proccesors are used and as far as I know Fritz used more than 2 processors in the match against Junior.

You can claim that the CCRL did not play enough games but the CEGT clearly played enough games to know that 2 processors are stronger than 4 processors for Fritz.

The programmer of Fritz probably does not care because after all 99% of the customers do not have more than 2 processors.

CEGT 40/20

25 Deep Fritz 10 2CPU 2893 12 12 2226 55.3 % 2856 36.5 %
42 Deep Fritz 10 4CPU 2854 23 23 573 40.5 % 2921 34.6 %

CCRL 40/40

Deep Fritz 10 2CPU 2953 +57 −56 61.2% −71.0 45.7% 94
79.8%
Deep Fritz 10 4CPU 2926 +22 −22 48.6% +9.0 39.2% 686

Uri
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

As far as I can see from most of the rating lists out there,it looks like most of the MP engines benifit more from dual core systems rather than quad ones :shock:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
swami

Post by swami »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:As far as I can see from most of the rating lists out there,it looks like most of the MP engines benifit more from dual core systems rather than quad ones :shock:
I'm planning to buy a new Dual core next month exclusively for computer chess, and Toyota a few months later :)

I have a dual core for Quake but that kind of system is only used for quake LAN party! :D
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:As far as I can see from most of the rating lists out there,it looks like most of the MP engines benifit more from dual core systems rather than quad ones :shock:
Except for Zanzibar of course. :wink:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

swami wrote:
I'm planning to buy a new Dual core next month exclusively for computer chess, and Toyota a few months later :)

I have a dual core for Quake but that kind of system is only used for quake LAN party! :D
The games don't benifit yet from the MP systems....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Except for Zanzibar of course. :wink:
Yeah,this is a big exception....
swami

Post by swami »

The games don't benifit yet from the MP systems....
Atleast some engines do get 20 or 30 elo improvement from dual core.But it seems not many engines support MP.

Regards.