2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Results

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zlaire

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by Zlaire »

Very nice tournament for Mediocre (Independence in the list). Obviously it didn't beat any of the stronger engines, but I'm still happy. :)
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Steve B wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:hi Harvey

nice tournament and a very close finish

while i realize of course that i am in the minority here(personally i have no interest in PC Engine vs Engine matches)
i do have an interest in PC engine vs Human matches

it seems that Kaufman will be taking up my proposal to have GM Benjamin play a DRAW odds match with Rybka for a possible rematch in Sept 07(too late to change the terms of the current match especially with Kaufman away on vacation )

are there any plans for Hiarcs to play against any strong GM's (hopefully without material odds)in the foreseeable future?

Best Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

There are lots of ideas. It would be nice to organise something that gets publicity outside this small Computer Chess community.

I must admit all this pawn odds stuff does not interest me much and the writing may have been on the wall several years ago when Hiarcs on relatively slow hardware defeated an IM with a similar score to the one Rybka beat Ehlvest with. The IM was about 150 elo weaker than Ehlvest but surely Rybka with modern hardware is more than 150 elo stronger than the Hiarcs that played that match. The match was at classical slow time controls.

http://www.gtryfon.demon.co.uk/bcc/tutor2/hiarcs.html
http://www.hiarcs.com/hiarcs_milestones.htm

and also palm hiarcs has a fantastic record v GMs

http://www.hiarcs.com/palm_hiarcs.htm#phvpb

http://www.hiarcs.com/palm_hiarcs.htm#phvsv

so the superiority of computers may already have been proven!?

The interesting thing at the moment is Freestyle/Advanced Chess. So I think it might be nice to get some money to organise an advanced Chess match.

I propose team 1 Rybka + Gm + IM
team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM

both teams would have access to identiacl hardware say a qx6700 quad core running the program. This might be an event that will get publicity outside our small closed computer chess world.

Best Wishes,

Harvey

yes that certainly is VERY interesting!
i assume then in your proposal Hiarcs would be playing against Rybka?

this would interest those devotees of PC Engine Matches AND those like me who are still interested in human participation in computer chess matches

Enthralled Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

To answer your question you missed this bit:

team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM

I think its interesting maybe others will disagree!?

Gladyour enthralled regards,

Harvey
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:

team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM

Harvey
hi Harvey

no i saw it the first time
i was just not sure who was playing whom here
Rybka vs GM's and IM's and then Hiarcs vs same players

so in effect you are proposing an Advanced Chess Match ..
Rybka + Humans vs Hiarcs+ Humans
which is how i took it in the first post

Flesh and Blood Regards
Steve
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I also agree that pawn odds matches are not interesting even though I can understand how some people might find them interesting. A lot of people like the many variants of chess as well with Chess 960 also being popular (though not so interesting for me again). I guess from now on the only reasonable match against humans is if humans are allowed to use a computer for database access and blunder check.

By the way ... what version of Hiarcs is this that played? Is that a previous version of Hiarcs or the latest version. I am confused by the 8 in the name. I thought Hiarcs was up to 11.
Peter Fendrich

Post by Peter Fendrich »

Harvey Williamson wrote: There would have been a tie break at 14+1 first engine to get 2 points wins I think was the rule. Its a shame as Vas and I were looking forward to that.
Hello Harvey,
I'm sorry to make a stop to that tiebreak and "ruin" the tourney.
Really! I would like to see the Rybka-Hiarcs battle.
Anyway I think Alaric did a good job taking advantage of Hiarcs
bad opening line. It was David vs Goliath after all.
Thank you Guenther who made my book!

That Mainz story is a scandal of course. I think all of the Chess Comp community want to see that fight with Hiarcs included...

/Peter
Harvey Williamson

M ANSARI wrote:I also agree that pawn odds matches are not interesting even though I can understand how some people might find them interesting. A lot of people like the many variants of chess as well with Chess 960 also being popular (though not so interesting for me again). I guess from now on the only reasonable match against humans is if humans are allowed to use a computer for database access and blunder check.

By the way ... what version of Hiarcs is this that played? Is that a previous version of Hiarcs or the latest version. I am confused by the 8 in the name. I thought Hiarcs was up to 11.
Hi,

Hiarcs8x is our login on ICC that was created several years ago. The version that played was one of our latest betas.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Harvey Williamson

Steve B wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM

Harvey
hi Harvey

no i saw it the first time
i was just not sure who was playing whom here
Rybka vs GM's and IM's and then Hiarcs vs same players

so in effect you are proposing an Advanced Chess Match ..
Rybka + Humans vs Hiarcs+ Humans
which is how i took it in the first post

Flesh and Blood Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

Yes your correct a kind of advanced Chess. Sounds like fun to me.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Harvey Williamson

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: games pgn

http://www.taccl.org/2007PresResults.html

all the games are now available to download as a pgn.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Harvey Williamson wrote: I must admit all this pawn odds stuff does not interest me much
Add me to this. I guess that 90%+ of people interested in Chess/computer Chess prefer normal Chess than Pawn odds.....

The interesting thing at the moment is Freestyle/Advanced Chess. So I think it might be nice to get some money to organise an advanced Chess match.

team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM
Or even better:
Tournament where the participants will be Rybka,Hiarcs,GM, GM, IM, IM.
Isn't it much better? :wink:
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
rjand

Post by rjand »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: I must admit all this pawn odds stuff does not interest me much
Add me to this. I guess that 90%+ of people interested in Chess/computer Chess prefer normal Chess than Pawn odds.....

team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM
Or even better:
Tournament where the participants will be Rybka,Hiarcs,GM, GM, IM, IM.
Isn't it much better? :wink:

Surely the play in a advanced chess match would be great chess but personally I'm more interested in seeing what the software that I can put on my computer is capable of against the Gm's.
Something like George's idea or the old Harvard cup that used to pit numerous players against programs would be awsome!

My Best,
Rick