Fruit, Rybka, Strelka final conclusion! (I hope)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Re: Fruit, Rybka, Strelka final conclusion! (I hope)

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

AGove wrote:
....there are so many links, search your yoursef (google is your friend)
No! Kindly show us exactly what you have found and very precisely where. Please don't just point to huge websites and tell us to Google ourselves.
If you don't go to the euro-copyright webpage and click top/left and read the document i can't help you. What takes a lawver? I'm not a lawver, but send me 200 euro and i do what you want. :twisted:

Best,
Daniel
Daniel Mehrmann

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
hgm wrote:I don't know where you get these ideas, it seems to me that you are just making this up.

An except of copyright law was just posted here in one of these recent threads, which clearly stated that in many countries disassembly of source in order to learn about the algorithm is explicitly allowed by law, even if the holder of the copyright explicitly forbids it.

http://www.euro-copyrights.org/

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/de/oj/ ... 100019.pdf

....there are so many links, search your yoursef (google is your friend)
I found a much better link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_ ... pean_Union

However, back to GPL. As Michael already pointed out its a contract law which modify the copyright law.

I think the interesting point is not that is a copy, for sure it is as i already explained here, the interesting point is what happend if you try to destroy it:

"You may not propagate or modify a covered work except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to propagate or modify it is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License (including any patent licenses granted under the third paragraph of section 11). However, if you cease all violation of this License, then your license from a particular copyright holder is reinstated (a) provisionally, unless and until the copyright holder explicitly and finally terminates your license, and (b) permanently, if the copyright holder fails to notify you of the violation by some reasonable means prior to 60 days after the cessation."

:)

best,
Daniel
smrf

Re: a silly part of the GPL

Post by smrf »

"You may not propagate or modify a covered work except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to propagate or modify it is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License (including any patent licenses granted under the third paragraph of section 11). However, if you cease all violation of this License, then your license from a particular copyright holder is reinstated (a) provisionally, unless and until the copyright holder explicitly and finally terminates your license, and (b) permanently, if the copyright holder fails to notify you of the violation by some reasonable means prior to 60 days after the cessation."
Again a silly part of the GPL (I personally do not recommend it), which is enjoining to the copyright holder the impossible task to watch the worldwide scene for violations of his released programs and sources.

Reinhard.
Daniel Mehrmann

Re: a silly part of the GPL

smrf wrote:
Again a silly part of the GPL (I personally do not recommend it), which is enjoining to the copyright holder the impossible task to watch the worldwide scene for violations of his released programs and sources.

Reinhard.
Hi Reinhard,

fully agree ! It's unlucky written. So the best choice for every GPL lover is to transmit the full copyright to the FSF. So the FSF will observe about the license and violations.

But my main target is showing Harm-Gert is wrong (in this case), because otherwhise we could get hundreds of Strelkas, maybe not with Rybka parts, but build on the Fruit source and that's a nice reality, isn't it ? :lol:

[added]
I believe so, because you can't control every engine source. Also not every Programmer will talk about his fruit-baby like Ospov. The most guys will not given the source and try to hide everything, this is the dark side of humans and we must live with it.
[added]

Best,
Daniel
smirobth

Post by smirobth »

CRoberson wrote:Decoding a binary and taking knowledge out of it is theft unless permission is given.
Permission WAS given:

"In this package, you will find the Rybka 1.0 Beta chess engine (dated Dec 4, 2005), as well as the Turk opening book by Djordje Vidanovic. Both versions of these components are free and can be used and transmitted without restriction."
- Robin Smith