Glaurung Lodz 2007 (unofficial Windows distribution)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

Re: Glaurung Lodz 2007 (unofficial Windows distribution)

Post by Tord Romstad »

George Tsavdaris wrote:From my little experience with Glaurung (i use it form Glaurung 1.2.1 and after) i think it it good enough with some testpositions.
The phrase "Glaurung 1.2.1 and after" is actually quite meaningless: Glaurung 1.2.1 is the last version of Glaurung 1. Glaurung 2 is not an improved version of the old program, but a completely new and very different program. Glaurung 1 and Glaurung 2 share the name and the author, and almost nothing else.

Glaurung 1.2.1 was indeed good in some kinds of test positions, especially those containing sacrifical kingside attacks. Glaurung 2 seems to be mediocre at best at all sort of test positions; tactical, positional, and endgame. It's main strength is not tactical or positional brilliance, but simply that it blunders less often than most programs (including Glaurung 1).

Tord
fern

Post by fern »

"Bad at everything but winning games...."
Tord, you have hit a world record in modesty and humor.....

If only you engage also in a really new, attractive GUI. Engines, only engines playing in the too much known Arena or CB is already tiring....

Candy Views Lover regards
Fernando
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:"Bad at everything but winning games...."

If only you engage also in a really new, attractive GUI. Engines, only engines playing in the too much known Arena or CB is already tiring....

Candy Views Lover regards
Fernando
Yes,with a decent eng-eng tournament mode including the winboard and the uci engines support :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

In fact, it's the best way I can find to describe the program. Optically, it looks like it is playing quite badly, certainly much worse than Glaurung 1.2.1. Nevertheless, it scores better than 1.2.1 against all opponents.
If only you engage also in a really new, attractive GUI.
Glaurung already has its own GUI. :)

Admittedly it is not the most pretty, stable or feature-rich chess GUI you can find, but it's getting better.

Tord
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tord Romstad wrote:
In fact, it's the best way I can find to describe the program. Optically, it looks like it is playing quite badly, certainly much worse than Glaurung 1.2.1. Nevertheless, it scores better than 1.2.1 against all opponents.
If only you engage also in a really new, attractive GUI.
Glaurung already has its own GUI. :)

Admittedly it is not the most pretty, stable or feature-rich chess GUI you can find, but it's getting better.

Tord
You are a hopeless case regarding advertising your own programs Tord :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Isaksen wrote:The mediafire link for Glaurung Lodz version is no longer working. Can somebody post another link that works thx.
Please try again Brian. It's still active when I checked it. You may have some security features in your browser that makes it fail in some ways. Try another browser like Firefox. I usually encounter problems like this using IE (complete with security updates). Hope this helps.