Rybka not considered best by rival programmers?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jeroen

Re: Rybka not considered best by rival programmers?

Post by Jeroen »

Hi Enrique,

I bet a LOT more people will know soon who the worldchamp is. Rybka will be advertised as 'worldchampion 2007' and people visiting chess shops will notice. Not the WCCC is important, but the title is.

In any case, I think your bitterness is unfounded, just wait and relax! All strong chessplayers know what program is the best. So do correspondence players. Slowly but surely people are picking it up. Just let the results talk. 39 out of 43 games in the past 5 tournaments. Unbeaten. People want the best!

Jeroen
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Jeroen wrote:Hi Enrique,

I bet a LOT more people will know soon who the worldchamp is. Rybka will be advertised as 'worldchampion 2007' and people visiting chess shops will notice. Not the WCCC is important, but the title is.

In any case, I think your bitterness is unfounded, just wait and relax! All strong chessplayers know what program is the best. So do correspondence players. Slowly but surely people are picking it up. Just let the results talk. 39 out of 43 games in the past 5 tournaments. Unbeaten. People want the best!

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

The BBC is planning a new series of Allo Allo. This will be based on the resistance to Rybka. The early scripts I have seen are so much fun.

We are looking for someone to play the Policeman would you be interested?

:)

Harvey
Enir

Post by Enir »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Enir wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Let's put it this way. If they can't humble themselves to admit that Rybka is the strongest engine at present, they must be seriously deluded. They'd certainly get laughed out of here!
A few dozen in-people in the world would laugh. The rest never heard of Rybka. Go to a general store and you will see Fritz, maybe even other CB engines, but not one single Rybka.

In other words, Rybka made it to CCC, Fritz to CNN. So they can say whatever they want and no one relevant will laugh.
We should not care what most people know or what only a small group of people know in order to define the truth. The truth is one and independent from the number of people who know it.

Even if 20 million people know Fritz,Junior etc and believe they are the strongest programs, while only 10000 know Rybka, the truth remains that Rybka is the strongest right now.
It is just happens that the 20 million don't know it....
It just happens that Rybka didn’t play in Elista.
It just happens that Rybka never played Kramnik or Kasparov.
It just happens that Rybka doesn’t have a chance in the big world without great PR.

Your truth: "Rybka is at least 100 elo better than the rest." CCC listens to you. Imaginary press conference, with CNN, CBS, BBC, etc. attending: "Rybka? another little silly thing that does well against computers in these sinister matches that freaks play in a basement. Ha ha ha. It’s just no good at all against human players. We dropped silly elo race comp-comp and develop instead engines for real people, engines that excel at playing human chess. As Vishy and Garry told me yesterday at home during dinner, it’s amazing to see how human and unbeatable my engine is. Vladi used it too during the world championship he won in Elista and he's in love with it! All GMs love my engine!" Etc. Crap all the way, but it works like a charm.

Going back to the header of this thread, do you really believe that programmers playing in Elista will tell that Rybka is best? Please.

Enrique
Last edited by Enir on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Enir wrote:
Going back to the header of this thread, do you really believe that programmers playing in Elista will tell that Rybka is best? Please.

Enrique
Someone in black community might say, "Wiggar please".
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Richard Stickles wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
As far as the fish well it's no secret i dislike Rybka
Why do you dislike Rybka?

Christopher
Rybka has pretty much ruined engine chess, there's no varation anymore, it's only rybka rybka rybka rybka, quite frankly it's boring. It now comes down to who has more money and better hardware.

Richard
I completely disagree with your reasoning, Rybka is the impetus the chess programming community needs!

Terry
Terry McCracken

Tony Thomas wrote:
Enir wrote:

Enrique
Tony most of us to recognise the school of Ebonics :wink:

Terry
bedouin

Post by bedouin »

bedouin wrote:Was it in order for FIDE to stage that competition at that time meaning Junior and Fritz would miss the World Championship (David Levi President of the ICGA was arbiter. The ICGA also hold the computer championship)? Shouldn't the ICGA/FIDE treat these things more seriously unless they want to recreate the mess of Kasparov breaking away etc?
Does no one else find it strange for the ICGA president to be overseeing the match and then Junior and Fritz miss the ICGA championship?
Terry McCracken

Terry McCracken wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Enir wrote:

Enrique

Terry
Sorry I omitted a word...don't...and somehow used the word...to?

Tony most of us don't recognise the school of Ebonics :wink:
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Enir wrote:

Enrique

Terry

Try using it unless your skin is way too pale. I can pull off the I am from east africa look. :wink:
Terry McCracken

Tony Thomas wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Enir wrote:

Enrique

Terry

Try using it unless your skin is way too pale. I can pull off the I am from east africa look. :wink:
Well I'm as White as the driven snow :wink:

Frosty sends his Regards...