Rybka not considered best by rival programmers?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Enir

Re: Rybka not considered best by rival programmers?

Post by Enir »

Jeroen wrote:As they only mention the WCCC as being the right tournament to evaluate the rankings in the chess computer world, the problem is already solved: Rybka is the 2007 champion :-)
Hi Jeroen,

Yes, and 100 people in the world know what the WCCC is. Millions knew about Fritz and Junior playing Kasparov and Kramnik.

It may be too late to find a sponsor to play a Hydra-Rybka match and get the winner to play the human world champion, because a man-machine match will attract fewer and fewer people. But it's the chance for Rybka to find a place in the sun.

It sounds bitter, but I don't see any other way around it if what Rybka needs is CNN coverage.

Enrique
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Enir wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Let's put it this way. If they can't humble themselves to admit that Rybka is the strongest engine at present, they must be seriously deluded. They'd certainly get laughed out of here!
A few dozen in-people in the world would laugh. The rest never heard of Rybka. Go to a general store and you will see Fritz, maybe even other CB engines, but not one single Rybka.

In other words, Rybka made it to CCC, Fritz to CNN. So they can say whatever they want and no one relevant will laugh.

It’s PR and politics. I think you pay too much attention to CCC.

Enrique
I think that there are many millions who know about rybka.
rybka has no copy protection and has thousands of buyers.
I guess that it has 100,000 users or something like that and millions of people who know about her.

Uri
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Enir wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Let's put it this way. If they can't humble themselves to admit that Rybka is the strongest engine at present, they must be seriously deluded. They'd certainly get laughed out of here!
A few dozen in-people in the world would laugh. The rest never heard of Rybka. Go to a general store and you will see Fritz, maybe even other CB engines, but not one single Rybka.

In other words, Rybka made it to CCC, Fritz to CNN. So they can say whatever they want and no one relevant will laugh.
We should not care what most people know or what only a small group of people know in order to define the truth. The truth is one and independent from the number of people who know it.

Even if 20 million people know Fritz,Junior etc and believe they are the strongest programs, while only 10000 know Rybka, the truth remains that Rybka is the strongest right now.
It is just happens that the 20 million don't know it....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Richard Stickles

Post by Richard Stickles »

Hi Jeroen,

Yes, and 100 people in the world know what the WCCC is. Millions knew about Fritz and Junior playing Kasparov and Kramnik.

It may be too late to find a sponsor to play a Hydra-Rybka match and get the winner to play the human world champion, because a man-machine match will attract fewer and fewer people. But it's the chance for Rybka to find a place in the sun.

It sounds bitter, but I don't see any other way around it if what Rybka needs is CNN coverage.

Enrique[/quote]

Enrique,

Hydra is a washed up project, nobody has herd or seen them in months.
As far as the fish well it's no secret i dislike Rybka, But gotta give props where props are due, Vasik grown that little fish into a big fish..But right now he's trying to swim in a very big pond of Sharks...
He will need much more time and money to be able to swim with the sharks..

Regards
Richard Stickles
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

As far as the fish well it's no secret i dislike Rybka
Why do you dislike Rybka?

Christopher
Richard Stickles

Post by Richard Stickles »

Christopher Conkie wrote:

Christopher
Rybka has pretty much ruined engine chess, there's no varation anymore, it's only rybka rybka rybka rybka, quite frankly it's boring. It now comes down to who has more money and better hardware.

Richard
Isaksen

Post by Isaksen »

It may rather be because she has taken over the entire playchess server.
All this has nothing to do with money or better hardware, but with the simple fact that majority of the users on playchess are using Rybka.
And why not? Why use any other engine which is much weaker than Rybka, when you know it is gonna get smashed as soon as it enters Playchess server.
Sound not very logical to me.
Rybka is considered to be for a serious chess player which most of the users on playchess are, serious Rybka users.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Richard Stickles wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:

Christopher
Rybka has pretty much ruined engine chess, there's no varation anymore, it's only rybka rybka rybka rybka, quite frankly it's boring. It now comes down to who has more money and better hardware.

Richard
I disagree. The Rybka programmer is an IM and can put his chess inside his engine which is actually a nice departure from the usual wooden crap that was dished up by say Fritz for example for years.

So much so that even Fritz is now being developed along human lines.

It won't be long before another chess player sits down and writes something better than Rybka.

Did it ever occur to you that Rybka is unique and the rest of the engines are the problem? There are a few exceptions to this...Hiarcs is one and always has been.

Perhaps programmers should rethink how they go about programming chess.

Personally I would like to see an engine that plays hypermodern chess.

I think such an engine would beat most engines out there currently including Rybka.

Christopher
Enir

Post by Enir »

Hi Ric,

Nice to hear from you.
Richard Stickles wrote:Enrique,

Hydra is a washed up project, nobody has herd or seen them in months.
As far as the fish well it's no secret i dislike Rybka, But gotta give props where props are due, Vasik grown that little fish into a big fish..But right now he's trying to swim in a very big pond of Sharks...
He will need much more time and money to be able to swim with the sharks..

Regards
Richard Stickles
Yep. You need a great engine, and Rybka is by far the best. But you need a PR man. Fritz wouldn't exist without Frederic Friedel.

Best,
Enrique
ed

Post by ed »

Jeroen wrote:As they only mention the WCCC as being the right tournament to evaluate the rankings in the chess computer world, the problem is already solved: Rybka is the 2007 champion :-)
Not to forget, Deep Blue was never WC. Yet it played Kasparov.

Ed