will there be no new shredder ?!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

will there be no new shredder ?!

Post by mclane »

where is it ?
AdminX

Re: will there be no new shredder ?!

Post by AdminX »

Good Question, and I am glad you brought it up. What did you think of Shredder's games at ICGA. Did you feel that Shredder play was much improved. I also wonder if SMK has done upgrades to the GUI as well. I would love to see FICS support in the Shredder interface. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

actually i thought: if it has made a progress, i could buy it since the last shredder i had was shredder9 from CB.

but there is NO PR info on the net.

i am little frustrated.

i would really like to buy something ... its boring here... and no offer ...

disapointing.

i did not replay the shredder games.
(shame on me).

i was completely concentrated on deep sjeng, rybka and zappa.

i was upset about seeing shredder lose against rybka due to better opening preparation of the rybka team. this was quite a disapointing situation to see shredder run into this trap.
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Thorsten, in the end of february I send a message to Stefan, and he reply,
see:

"Stefan, you launched Shredder 10 version in may/2006.
When do you want to launch Shredder 11?
Shredder, in my opinion, is the best in endgames, do
you will improve this phase of the game?
Some possibilities to add some 6 Shredderbases? If this
is possible I will to buy more ram."

Stefan Reply:
"Hello,
we will release Shredder 11 this summer. Much will be improved,
including his endgame capabilities. We will also publish some
6 men Shredderbases, however we do not have a schedule for this yet."

I am waiting forShredder 11 too.

Paulo Soares
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

I am waiting for Shredder 11 as well, also a new version of Fruit, Smarthink, or Gandalf would be nice. Even better, a new ruffian that challenges all domination like during its first release would be nice as well.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Tony Thomas wrote:I am waiting for Shredder 11 as well, also a new version of Fruit, Smarthink, or Gandalf would be nice. Even better, a new ruffian that challenges all domination like during its first release would be nice as well.
The coming of Rybka slowdowned the release of all big gun in computer chess. There's a lot of work to do for programmers.
nuff

Post by nuff »

Personally I would favour a conservative release model but I know many computer enthusiasts favour very rapid releases. Conservative release models allow improvement to be seen more than the rapid releases and allow bugs to be quashed. You still have people claiming 2.1d3 is better than the latest rybka for example.

There was a claim though I don't know whether its true that Deep Junior used version 9 in the recent match vs Deep Fritz.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

nuff wrote:Personally I would favour a conservative release model but I know many computer enthusiasts favour very rapid releases. Conservative release models allow improvement to be seen more than the rapid releases and allow bugs to be quashed. You still have people claiming 2.1d3 is better than the latest rybka for example.

There was a claim though I don't know whether its true that Deep Junior used version 9 in the recent match vs Deep Fritz.
I can confirm, it wasnt true.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Vinvin wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:I am waiting for Shredder 11 as well, also a new version of Fruit, Smarthink, or Gandalf would be nice. Even better, a new ruffian that challenges all domination like during its first release would be nice as well.
The coming of Rybka slowdowned the release of all big gun in computer chess. There's a lot of work to do for programmers.
This is simply not correct.
Tiger and Naum were released in the last months and Naum is not a smaller gun than shredder based on rating lists.

Uri
Spock

Post by Spock »

nuff wrote:Personally I would favour a conservative release model but I know many computer enthusiasts favour very rapid releases. Conservative release models allow improvement to be seen more than the rapid releases and allow bugs to be quashed. You still have people claiming 2.1d3 is better than the latest rybka for example.
I also favour a more conservative release model