Glaurung wrong mate scores

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Re: Glaurung wrong mate scores

Post by geots »

Tord Romstad wrote:
geots wrote:No offense meant here, Uri. But if you are going to show me a bug found in a program, please show me where you found it in a position that actually came up or could easily come up in game play. All these weird positions that are impossible to reproduce in game play are just a waste of time and bandwidth IMHO.
Not necessarily: Sometimes it could happen that the bugs you see in such extremely artificial positions can have a negative effect in some normal chess positions, too, but be much more difficult to spot there. In this particular case, the bug has zero importance for practical game play (the bug can only occur when one side has a material advantage worth more than 100 pawns), but in other cases it could be different.

Tord

Hi, Tord. I agree with you. As i stated above, it was a case of me speaking too soon on an issue i know very little about. I'm guilty of that from time to time. Bear with me. :oops:

Regards,