Deep Fritz vs Deep Junior match - hardware specifications

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Martin Thoresen

Deep Fritz vs Deep Junior match - hardware specifications

Post by Martin Thoresen »

For those interested:
Deep Fritz is running on an eight-core machine and searching 13-14 million nodes per second, reaching a search depth of 20-21 ply. Deep Junior is employing the latest Intel Server technology with 16 cores. The program is running at 24 million nodes per second and consistantly reaching search depths of 24 ply. More on the technology and the match tomorrow, a rest day for the humans but a full round for the computers.
Taken from chessbase.com
Nid Hogge

Re: Deep Fritz vs Deep Junior match - hardware specification

Post by Nid Hogge »

Martin T wrote:For those interested:
Deep Fritz is running on an eight-core machine and searching 13-14 million nodes per second, reaching a search depth of 20-21 ply. Deep Junior is employing the latest Intel Server technology with 16 cores. The program is running at 24 million nodes per second and consistantly reaching search depths of 24 ply. More on the technology and the match tomorrow, a rest day for the humans but a full round for the computers.
Taken from chessbase.com
Well, this is pretty useless ..

They didn't mention if the eight-core Fritz is using Intel or AMD(Clovertown Vs. Opteron).
Much more importantly is the Deep Junior hardware.
They say 16 cores Intel, but Up until now INTC had no 4 socket solution for their new core architecture. The problem was not the cpu itself, but there was no north-bridge chip with 4 front-side buses available. The last 4P server based platforms from Intel is Tulsa which is based on the {rubbish} Netburst arch.
Performance-wise the difference is huge.

Ofcourse, this is soon to changed with Caneland and Tigerton platforms that supports 4P.
They are not released yet(coming Q3), But taking into account Junior is Israeli based(where the Intel CPU's are designed) and it's programmers are pretty well known on the tech-scale .. I'm sure they wer'e granted with a little Engineering Sample. Besides, no way they would risk the match with the worthless Tulsa's..

Hopefully they will affirm this tommorow.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

But taking into account Junior is Israeli based(where the Intel CPU's are designed)
Only some of the chips are designed in Isreal. Many are designed
in the US in Oregon.
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Only some of the chips are designed in Isreal. Many are designed
in the US in Oregon.
Yes ofcourse I know, D1D is also the biggest if I'm not mistaken.
Just mentioning fun fact. I'm pretty sure they would get their hands on that chip no matter where they are located anyway.
Actually I should be more careful with my wording. Most manufacturing fabs are in the U.S.
However the Israeli design team are responsible for Core 2(Merom).
That was straight after the disappointment from the Indian design team.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Nid Hogge wrote:
Ofcourse, this is soon to changed with Caneland and Tigerton platforms that supports 4P.
I bet CPU's are Tigerton. The junior team have often very advanced CPU's (and sometime prototypes).
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Hello.

Deep Junior uses Intel Caneland -- 16 x 2.6GHz.

Regards,

-elc.

Vinvin wrote:
Nid Hogge wrote:
I bet CPU's are Tigerton. The junior team have often very advanced CPU's (and sometime prototypes).
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Enrico wrote:Hello.

Regards,

-elc.
"Caneland" is the codename of the plateform and "Tigerton" is the codename of the CPU's. ;)

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/11099
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Hello.

Regards,

-elc.
Hi Enrico,

Thanks for verifying the information.

That's a really strong beast,
"Caneland" is the codename of the plateform and "Tigerton" is the codename of the CPU's.
Ahh, All clear now, thanks