Linux Frustration

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mariaclara

Re: Linux Frustration

Post by mariaclara »

:D

am studying/booking up on linux so i can install and use it.

................juz 1 of those hu wanna be 'free'...

:roll: :wink: :!: :wink: :roll:
................................... freedom from the big hostage-taking software vendors (did I mention Microsoft?).

................. Mu Shin ..........................
fern

Post by fern »

Thank you Christophe,. now the only thing I must do is get you coming here, to install it to me :-)
No, serious, I will follow your advice simply getting someone with the expertize to do so.
I do not plan to abandon windows; it is just I want to give a new life a to a very old notebook, a compaq 1998 vintage, with just 98 Mg Ram.

Salut
Fernando
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

Hi Fernando
I did install at my computer Ubuntu (first time i saw this name was from some posts of V.Pittlik) an year ago. My system is dual-bootable so i can use Linux and Windows. Yet i didnt manage to make some tourney under Linux. So please take my condolence and sympathy regards,
Geno
take it easy :)
fern

Post by fern »

Thanks pal. I like to receive kind words from time to time even in a harsh place like this.
What I will do is simple to get a guru in this field and asking him, for money, to do the job.
It is the simplest and better thing to do, I guess.
A hug
Fernando
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

fern wrote:Thanks pal. I like to receive kind words from time to time even in a harsh place like this.
What I will do is simple to get a guru in this field and asking him, for money, to do the job.
I offer you and Evgenii to help you to install Linux and teach both of you how to play tournaments under Linux. For free. Tournaments will be held under Xboard and for UCI engines with the help of Polyglot. Windows executables can possibly take part with the help of wine.

Volker
glorfindel

Post by glorfindel »

fern wrote:No way: have downloaded two versions of Linux, uncompressed them to a Cd rom
What do you mean by "uncompressed them to a CD-ROM"? The correct term would be "burn" to a CD-ROM, with a program made for this purpose, like Nero or Burnatonce. Are you sure you did it correctly?

I would suggest that you try again with a small Linux version, like "Damn Small Linux" or "Puppy Linux", suitable for your old hardware. If you manage to boot one of this distributions, you will see that using a computer does not get much easier than this. Some versions of Linux are not made for geeks, they are made for computer illiterates.