Linux Frustration

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Linux Frustration

Post by AdminX »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
AdminX wrote:On my Ubuntu system I Synaptic Package Manager to install Wine. Then using Shredder 10 as an example I opened a terminal window and typed the following:....
The installation is not the problem. The problem is that the engines don't play under Arena. The debug says: "Invalid command line" when I try to start an engine...

Volker
I have not had that problem. In the case of Arena, I setup Arena on my Windows box. then I just copied the whole Arena Directory over to my Linux box. Everything has worked fine for me from the point forward. Note: I had all my engines configured in the Arena directory and working before moving the whole directory.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

AdminX wrote:...

I have not had that problem. In the case of Arena, I setup Arena on my Windows box. then I just copied the whole Arena Directory over to my Linux box. ....
Now I have managed it that I can run Windows executables under Arena in Linux without wine! However, most likely I stay with Xboard. I can test again after a Linux Arena occurs what hasn't been cancelled as far as I know.

Volker
fern

Post by fern »

I did exactly the same but nothing happened.
Do you think I complain for nothing?

My best
fernando
fern

Post by fern »

Iso what?????

Man, you arw talking with a guy born in 1949.

My best
Fernando
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

fern wrote:Iso what?????

Man, you arw talking with a guy born in 1949.
Hello Fernando,

An "ISO file" (or sometimes an "ISO image") in this context is simply the complete contents of a CD. When downloading a Linux distribution from the Internet, you usually download such a file, and you are supposed to use it to burn an install CD. Exactly how you do this depends on your OS. Perhaps it is somewhat difficult to do it in Windows (I have no idea, because I am not a Windows user), but even if it is, it is unfair to blame Linux for it.

If you have a working install CD, installing Linux should in theory be just as easy as installing Windows. In practise, there may be some problems if you have some unusual hardware, but my impression is that such problems are now less frequent than they used to be.

Using Linux is another matter entirely. Unfortunately, I think running and maintaining Linux is still too difficult for the average non-technical user. I cannot recommend it unless you have some knowledgable friend to help you get started.

Personally, I am happy to use Linux as long as somebody else can do the system maintenance, but doing all the work myself gives me an uncomfortable feeling of constantly having to make my hands dirty. I therefore use Mac OS X privately. Mac OS X is very similar to Linux, but friendlier and easier to use for the average user.

Perhaps this will change later. I hope that Linux will eventually become sufficiently mature and polished that I can use it as my main OS, but it isn't quite there yet.

Tord
shiv

Post by shiv »

AdminX wrote:On my Ubuntu system I used Synaptic Package Manager to install Wine. Then using Shredder 10 as an example I opened a terminal window and typed the following:

wine /home/AdminX/Desktop/SetupShredder10.exe

Please note to change your path to the location of your setup file. I hope this helps. By the way, yes I used my windows version of Shredder. Still looking for a way to get Hiarcs to function. I have a problem when it wants to register under wine. Hiarcs will not take my registration key there, only works in Windows.
I got Hiarcs to register correctly with wine. Which version of Wine are you using? What is the error message you are getting? Perhaps it is tied to the wine version.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

shiv wrote:
AdminX wrote:On my Ubuntu system I used Synaptic Package Manager to install Wine. Then using Shredder 10 as an example I opened a terminal window and typed the following:

wine /home/AdminX/Desktop/SetupShredder10.exe

Please note to change your path to the location of your setup file. I hope this helps. By the way, yes I used my windows version of Shredder. Still looking for a way to get Hiarcs to function. I have a problem when it wants to register under wine. Hiarcs will not take my registration key there, only works in Windows.
I got Hiarcs to register correctly with wine. Which version of Wine are you using? What is the error message you are getting? Perhaps it is tied to the wine version.
It's been a while however the last version I tried was Hiarcs 11
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by shiv »

I only have Hiarcs X50, not Hiarcs 11. The registration problem might also be tied to the Hiarcs version (although this seems less likely).
fern

Post by fern »

Thank you Tord for yours -as usual -civilized words. I am a non literary person in the realm of computerish, but not dull, so I understand the message: Linux is not for me for the time being.
My best
Fernando
tiger

Post by tiger »

fern wrote:Thank you Tord for yours -as usual -civilized words. I am a non literary person in the realm of computerish, but not dull, so I understand the message: Linux is not for me for the time being.
My best
Fernando

Linux is for you and for everybody. My personal trainer (I'm talking about physical coaching here) is totally computer illiterate. I have installed Linux on his computer, and on his wife's. They both use it every day and are very glad about it. He does all his office and administrative work on it. He downloads and watches movies. Listens to music. Surfs the net. All this with Linux and Linux only.

They have to boot Windows only for 2 reasons: my coach has to when he wants to have a video conversation over the internet (but he can use the MSN network with Linux if he just wants to chat), and his wife has to boot Windows to connect to her iPod.

For both tasks, I think it is my fault if they have to take the risk of using Windows. I have not been able to find the right Linux program for them.

I think that the best is to find a Linux enthusiast near you. Once Linux is installed on your computer, I think you will start to appreciate it. Excellent security (no virus) and freedom from the big hostage-taking software vendors (did I mention Microsoft?).

// Christophe