Open Letter & $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tony Thomas

Re: Open Letter & $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Post by Tony Thomas »

MikeB wrote:
Vas,

Good luck - I can appreciate why you undertaken such measures since the FIDE is sponsoring this totally Bogus Ultimate Computer Chess Championship

(.
I think you are on to something Mike.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Deep Fritz 10 and Deep Junior 10 would be lucky to even score 40% against Rybka.
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

I'm really excited about this Ultimate Computer challenge thingy. I would never have known it existed were it not for this post!

Deep Fritz 10 is one of my favorite engines for analysis! Deep Junior 10 is not an engine I use for analysis, but it does have some interesting ideas - at least when I try to use it to analyze positions. Unfortunately, more often than not, those ideas fail vs. other top engines (like DF10 and Hiarcs and Rybka).

I wil be sure to follow this FIDE computer chess thingy!
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Leto wrote:Deep Fritz 10 and Deep Junior 10 would be lucky to even score 40% against Rybka.
Where did they say that they were using Deep Fritz 10 and Deep junior 10? I am pretty sure they are going to play with improved versions, 100,000 dolla is a decent amount of money.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote:i wonder if this whole thread is a charter violation actually

is it not merely a disguised Commercial exhortation??

Hmmm Regards
Steve
What is it exhorting us to buy?

Regards, Graham.
Rybka?
Steve
How?

Regards, Graham.

Linking to his site
the free advertising of this "so called" challenge
all because he was excluded from some match somewhere

the only thing this thread does is further some financial interest of his especially asking members here to carry his challenge for him

i dont expect you to agree given who the poster is...

Regards
Steve
Have you clicked on the link Steve?
It takes you directly to the letter. There is no link there at all to other sections of the Rybka site.
Even if there was, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
There is no charter violation.

This post is most welcome information here as has been expressed by others.

Regards, Graham.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

actually Charles this has happened before and will again i suppose

in 2001 there was an event called the Kramnik Challenge
the idea was to pit the best human against the best Pc Engine
it was sponsored by Brain-Games(a private company no longer in existence)
as it turned out the then Reigning computer world champion program Shredder was not even given fair notice of the qualifying event and only Fritz and Junior competed against each other to play Kramink
i think the prize found was something in the neighborhood of 1 million dollars

both Fritz and Junior were chessbase engines while Shredder at that time was not

Tiger was also a very powerful leading engine at the time and also was not even given an invitation to compete

then and now it is all about the money and fairness and sportsmanship have nothing to do with it

the only difference is i dont recall Stefan -Meyer Kahlen actually coming here (or rather the old CCC forum) and asking for the members to carry the torch for him

but i see i have to drop this because i am only going to come up against Rybka fans and loyalists who will defend their engine hero no matter what he does or says

at least while he remains the top engine of course

Adulation of the Magi Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:actually Charles this has happened before and will again i suppose

as it turned out the then Reigning computer world champion program Shredder was not even given fair notice of the qualifying event and only Fritz and Junior competed against each other to play Kramink

both Fritz and Junior were chessbase engines while Shredder at that time was not

Tiger was also a very powerful leading engine at the time and also was not even given an invitation to compete

then and now it is all about the money and fairness and sportsmanship have nothing to do with it

the only difference is i dont recall Stefan -Meyer Kahlen actually coming here (or rather the old CCC forum) and asking for the members to carry the torch for him

but i see i have to drop this because i am only going to come up against Rybka fans and loyalists who will defend their engine hero no matter what he does or says

Steve
I understand Steve, but I think Vas wasn't overstepping his privledges with his announcement.

Terry
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Steve B wrote:actually Charles this has happened before and will again i suppose

Steve
I understand Steve, but I think Vas wasn't overstepping his privledges with his announcement.

Terry
i will say this much about Rajlich's calling of the "party faithful" to arms on his financial behalf

he is brave

others who have publicly challenged Ilyumzhinov and his corrupt Fide have wound up dead

Larisa Yudina Sends her regards from the Grave
Steve
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

>>>i will say this much about Rajlich's calling of the "party faithful" to arms >>>>on his financial behalf

Steve, I am not sure this is entirely fair. Why can't people be enthusiastic about an engine, and not be labeled as "party faithful" (which implies a kind of brainwashed obedience).

I think talented programers should be rewarded, in order to continue to motivate them to create better software. Vas has created the best chess engine for analysis, in my view, and he should at least be given a chance to prove it.

best
joseph
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Steve
There is a difference.
At that time shredder was not clearly the best engine and tiger did not support more than one processor.

Uri