Open Letter & $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Will Singleton

Re: Open Letter & $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Post by Will Singleton »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Imagine if he IS putting the $100,000 on the table from his own bank account. That takes nerve, and it adds to the drama. I really believe it could get a ton of publicity and that it might even upstage the championship match as people finally realized that the quality of the computer games considerably surpassed those of the human games. But in my judgment Chessbase will never accept this challenge as it doesn't make business sense to lose such a match. They have much more to lose than to gain, while Rajlich has much more to gain than to lose.
It's an interesting bet, but I don't think Vas is risking much. One, the probability that FIDE accepts is very low; two, if they do accept, it's more than likely Rybka would win. So I would put the actual risk to Vas of losing money at less than 5%. That's a good bet, even if he doesn't have the money! (They would obviously require a performance bond prior to the match.)

It's also a very good attempt to torpedo the Chessbase match. It'll depend on how widely his letter gets distributed.

Will
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Will Singleton wrote:
Nelson Hernandez wrote:Imagine if he IS putting the $100,000 on the table from his own bank account. That takes nerve, and it adds to the drama. I really believe it could get a ton of publicity and that it might even upstage the championship match as people finally realized that the quality of the computer games considerably surpassed those of the human games. But in my judgment Chessbase will never accept this challenge as it doesn't make business sense to lose such a match. They have much more to lose than to gain, while Rajlich has much more to gain than to lose.
It's an interesting bet, but I don't think Vas is risking much. One, the probability that FIDE accepts is very low; two, if they do accept, it's more than likely Rybka would win. So I would put the actual risk to Vas of losing money at less than 5%. That's a good bet, even if he doesn't have the money! (They would obviously require a performance bond prior to the match.)

It's also a very good attempt to torpedo the Chessbase match. It'll depend on how widely his letter gets distributed.

Will
i wonder if this whole thread is a charter violation actually

is it not merely a disguised Commercial exhortation??

Hmmm Regards
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote:i wonder if this whole thread is a charter violation actually

Hmmm Regards
Steve
What is it exhorting us to buy?

Regards, Graham.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:

Hmmm Regards
Steve

Regards, Graham.
Rybka?
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Hmmm Regards
Steve

Regards, Graham.
Rybka?
Steve
How?

Regards, Graham.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Hmmm Regards
Steve

Regards, Graham.
Rybka?
Steve
How?

Regards, Graham.

Linking to his site
the free advertising of this "so called" challenge
all because he was excluded from some match somewhere

the only thing this thread does is further some financial interest of his especially asking members here to carry his challenge for him

i dont expect you to agree given who the poster is...

Regards
Steve
Alkelele

Post by Alkelele »

The chess computer world witnesses a 100.000$ Wrestling/Boxing type challenge. I go to the Computer Chess Club to follow all the interesting discussions that should surely take place there, and, lo and behold, indeed the very interesting question is raised whether the official challenger should be allowed to mention the challenge in the club.

I guess this is why CCC is becoming more and more popular for each passing day... :roll:
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Hi Steve,

I must beg to differ with you on this one.
When I heard about FIDE's actions (a month ago), I was appalled.

How can FIDE have such a match with these two programs. If an
"Ultimate" challenge is to take place, should not a qualification round
be held to decide the two finalist.

Charles
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Steve B wrote: i wonder if this whole thread is a charter violation actually

Hmmm Regards
Steve
Even if it is commercial exhortation, you yourself call it disguised, which is somewhat the opposite of flagrant.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Vasik Rajlich wrote:Hi,

I'm making a $100,000 challenge (together with an open letter) to FIDE, for a match between Rybka and the winner of FIDE's upcoming 'Ultimate Computer Chess Challenge 2007'.

More info is here:

http://www.rybkachess.com/docs/ChallengeToFIDE.htm

If anybody could help me to spread this to other chess news channels, that would be great.

Vas

ps. Good luck to the freestylers this weekend :)

Vas,

Good luck - I can appreciate why you undertaken such measures since the FIDE is sponsoring this totally Bogus Ultimate Computer Chess Championship

(Be sure to read the bogus claims in the PDF file)

But we have all know FIDE has been, and still is, a totally corrupt organization. I feel bad for the many honest internationally FIDE titled chess players that have to live with such a corrupt organization day in and day out.

Best regards,

Michael Byrne

ps We all know which engine is the strongest anyway - in spite of what Chessbase would like people to think.