Lowest spec PC to run engine matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rdan1987

Re: Lowest spec PC to run engine matches

Post by rdan1987 »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
rdan1987 wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
cooldalek wrote:Do "core 2 Duo" and "Dual core " both mean the pc is multi-processor?
Yes,as the "Core 2 Duo" is the next generation which is much faster than the "Core Duo",by Intel of course :D
Core 2 Duo is not "much faster" than Core Duo....only a little faster(about 10-15% )....if you don't believe me go to http://www.jens.tauchclub-krems.at/dive ... marks.html
and compare Core 2 T7200(2000 Mhz) with Core Duo T 2500(2000 Mhz)

Why do you make statements without proofs?....This is the 3rd or 4th time when I hear this on this forum!!!!!
:evil: :evil:
Did you ever heard of something called Level2 cache memory and it's importance for the chess engines,it's bigger in the Core 2 Duo and the structure of the chip is different....It seems that you understand the details of the hardware as much as my cat understand atomic physics sir :P
Don't compare the speed of the cpu and make luaghable statements,ok!?
Ask people who had Core Duo and then upgraded to Core 2 Duo about the difference in performance and then get angry,capiche :?:

I was reffering to notebook CPU's....where on the same clock speed the Core 2 is only 10-15% faster than Core Duo....
Also...I was reffering only to 32 bit engines....I know very well that Core Duo is not 64 bit capable...
Anyway...I gave you a link....you only give me words....even a chimpanzee ( :lol: :lol: ) knows that Core 2 has more cache.....
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

rdan1987 wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
rdan1987 wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
cooldalek wrote:Do "core 2 Duo" and "Dual core " both mean the pc is multi-processor?
Yes,as the "Core 2 Duo" is the next generation which is much faster than the "Core Duo",by Intel of course :D
Core 2 Duo is not "much faster" than Core Duo....only a little faster(about 10-15% )....if you don't believe me go to http://www.jens.tauchclub-krems.at/dive ... marks.html
and compare Core 2 T7200(2000 Mhz) with Core Duo T 2500(2000 Mhz)

Why do you make statements without proofs?....This is the 3rd or 4th time when I hear this on this forum!!!!!
:evil: :evil:
Did you ever heard of something called Level2 cache memory and it's importance for the chess engines,it's bigger in the Core 2 Duo and the structure of the chip is different....It seems that you understand the details of the hardware as much as my cat understand atomic physics sir :P
Don't compare the speed of the cpu and make luaghable statements,ok!?
Ask people who had Core Duo and then upgraded to Core 2 Duo about the difference in performance and then get angry,capiche :?:

I was reffering to notebook CPU's....where on the same clock speed the Core 2 is only 10-15% faster than Core Duo....
Also...I was reffering only to 32 bit engines....I know very well that Core Duo is not 64 bit capable...
Anyway...I gave you a link....you only give me words....even a chimpanzee ( :lol: :lol: ) knows that Core 2 has more cache.....
Come on guys, what silly arguements. :roll:
jdart

Post by jdart »

I agree. It is very hard to find a "bargain" computer on ebay. If you're shopping for a workstation or server you can find some deals but not desktop PCs. Most listings are new machines and for used ones, finding one of reasonable age/condition and attractive price is difficult.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

jdart wrote:I agree. It is very hard to find a "bargain" computer on ebay. If you're shopping for a workstation or server you can find some deals but not desktop PCs. Most listings are new machines and for used ones, finding one of reasonable age/condition and attractive price is difficult.
Indeed! Just ask NASA :shock:
Spock

Post by Spock »

rdan1987 wrote: Also...I was reffering only to 32 bit engines....I know very well that Core Duo is not 64 bit capable...
I know that you know :wink: but the original author of this thread may not have
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Thanks for everyone's input (I didn't realise how heated a conversation this would lead to!)

On reflection, I'll buy a new Core 2 Duo as my new "main desktop" and for analysing games (will treat myself to something like Deep Junior or Rybka MP) and I'll use my existing single CPU Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz to run engine matches (where I create positions I often get myself into the openings (out of book) and generate some high quality games to play through etc)

Thanks
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Another consideration might be that on a dual-core machine you can run two engine-engine matches at the same time, if you play with ponder off. This will give you better quality games then running a single match with ponder on at twice faster time control, as ponder time is not used 100% efficiently. On a single-core machine you would therefore also run matches with ponder off, and this makes a dual-core machine worth two single-core machines of the same speed.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:Another consideration might be that on a dual-core machine you can run two engine-engine matches at the same time, if you play with ponder off. This will give you better quality games then running a single match with ponder on at twice faster time control, as ponder time is not used 100% efficiently. On a single-core machine you would therefore also run matches with ponder off, and this makes a dual-core machine worth two single-core machines of the same speed.
I agree,I run 2 parallel tournaments using the Arena GUI on my Core 2 Duo HP laptop and get between 16 and 24 quality games for 24 hours....it's a big deal indeed 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….