Some axioms about STRELKA

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Some axioms about STRELKA

Post by Sylwy »

Hi all !

1.Strelka is the strongest WB chess engine in the world (single CPU/32bit);
2.Strelka is the third free chess engine in its class (after Rybka 1.0 beta & Spike 1.2 Turin).Toga II is a clone (he he he !)-isn't it ?
3.Juri Osipov-its brilliant author-it's now a sort of Jesus Christ in computer chess;
4.a clear target of this scandal was to obtain the source code of this very particular engine.

Clear for me from the starting point that Strelka is in the same structural class with Rybka but in a bit incipient form-not by altering Rybka's code but by his natural development. And-don't forget-Strelka is under development from 21 years. Maybe Rybka is...........
If the justice directed this world all the strong chess engines (Rybka,Hiarcs,Loop,Shredder,Fritz.....) must obtain a "honestity certificate".Possible to see a lot of surprises.But the justice seems to be for other world.

Better for Strelka to became- in the near future- in my opinion-a commercial engine.ChessBase ,Lokasoft......know to defend better the interests.

I know in my country three private chess engine.Two only play chess-just a hobby.But one is very strong.His author-a distinguished gownsman-must cover the same procedure ? And why not everybody ?????

Someting is not OK !

All the best,
Sylwy
Uri Blass

Re: Some axioms about STRELKA

Post by Uri Blass »

Sylwy wrote:Hi all !

1.Strelka is the strongest WB chess engine in the world (single CPU/32bit);
2.Strelka is the third free chess engine in its class (after Rybka 1.0 beta & Spike 1.2 Turin).Toga II is a clone (he he he !)-isn't it ?
3.Juri Osipov-its brilliant author-it's now a sort of Jesus Christ in computer chess;
4.a clear target of this scandal was to obtain the source code of this very particular engine.

Clear for me from the starting point that Strelka is in the same structural class with Rybka but in a bit incipient form-not by altering Rybka's code but by his natural development. And-don't forget-Strelka is under development from 21 years. Maybe Rybka is...........
If the justice directed this world all the strong chess engines (Rybka,Hiarcs,Loop,Shredder,Fritz.....) must obtain a "honestity certificate".Possible to see a lot of surprises.But the justice seems to be for other world.

Better for Strelka to became- in the near future- in my opinion-a commercial engine.ChessBase ,Lokasoft......know to defend better the interests.

I know in my country three private chess engine.Two only play chess-just a hobby.But one is very strong.His author-a distinguished gownsman-must cover the same procedure ? And why not everybody ?????

Someting is not OK !

All the best,
Sylwy
people suspected that strelka is a clone because it seems to have similiar weaknesses to rybka.

I suspect that it is even a clone of early rybka version because it even had less knowledge than rybka about simple draws.

not knowing underpromotion is not something that I can expect from developement of 21 years.

I also did not expect that an engine that is developed for 21 years will not know elementary things that KB vs K is a draw because one of the elemntary things that I did in evaluation was evaluating KB v K or KN vs K as a draw.

It is very easy to do without bugs so it seems to me illogical that a programmer is going to release a good program that does not know it.

I can add that I agree that it is better for strelka to become a commercial
program.

Uri
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I can add that I disagree that
Strelka is the third free chess engine in its class (after Rybka 1.0 beta & Spike 1.2 Turin)

Toga is free and the fact that it is a clone is not relevant because it is a legal clone.

Glaurung1.2.1 4 cpu is also better than strelka.

Strelka has clear disadvantages even relative to weak engines.

1)Strelka is using static hash tables when I expect good programmers to let the user to change the hash
2)Strelka does not support fischer time control

These 2 reasons also encouraged people to believe that it may be a joke about rybka because I see no logical reason to release something that is so strong in games without a minimal support of changing hash or fischer time control(all other strong engines support changing hash or fischer time control).

Uri
Sergei Markoff

Post by Sergei Markoff »

Well. Then I'm very like st.Peter :lol:
tiger

Post by tiger »

All the best,
Sylwy

I would award this one the most ridiculous statement of the year.

But wait, the year is not over, this competition is still open.

// Christophe
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

// Christophe
Hopefully his tongue was in cheek, or else he must have head up rear end. :D
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

tiger wrote:

+1 vote from me. :D

Yes we are looking forward for new more ridiculous overstatements.....

Yes Juri Osipov may be brilliant, may be really super talented, but to say such things after some days after the release of Strelka and even to say he is a sort of Jesus in CC is indescribable!
tiger

Post by tiger »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
tiger wrote:

Yes Juri Osipov may be brilliant, may be really super talented, but to say such things after some days after the release of Strelka and even to say he is a sort of Jesus in CC is indescribable!

Now if only someone suggested Tiger is a clone...

Come on, make my day! ;-)

// Christophe
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Hi Christophe,
tiger wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
tiger wrote:

Now if only someone suggested Tiger is a clone...

Come on, make my day! ;-)

// Christophe
well, I fear I have discovered that Tiger 2007 is a clone of Tiger 15... I can't prove whether Tiger 2004 was already a clone of Tiger 15, because I don't own it, but indications are really big between those two Tigers... There are some different positions, but... hehe

I wish you a nice day... ;)

Thomas

P.S.: Outch, I made a mistake, aren't they both from the same author ???
Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu »

Oh my God, bad news for Rybka-Fans. :(
If even Jesus couldn't manage the zugzwang-problem the last 21 years, when will Vas succeed?