My review of Strelka Code

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PauloSoare

Re: My review of Strelka Code

Post by PauloSoare »

rlsuth wrote:
PauloSoare wrote: Well, I am very happy. I wait that in the future we let us not accuse other people without proves.

Accuse? No! Question? Yes!

There is nothing wrong with casting a jaundiced eye at a suddenly released, strong opponent. It didn't take much for the author of Strelka to establish that his program is unique, and he, and his program, are now welcomed into the fraternity, rather than being under a cloud of suspicion.
Ok, if you like, let´s to change the words, it´s the same thing. Some questionings had been very
rudes and, to say the truth, some people had affirmed that Strelka was a clone.
The more important now is that Strelka, as you wrote, are welcome into
the fraternity, but I think the author didn´t deserved to read some words that are write here.

Paulo Soares

Paulo Soares
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

I will apologize once the author joins the forum.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:I will apologize once the author joins the forum.
Why should he need to join to read an apology when he is able to read it as a guest?
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Graham Banks wrote:
Why should he need to join to read an apology? He can read it as a guest.
What makes you think that he reads the forum? Here is a hypothetical scenerio. I was a member of JLo'sass worship forum. All of a sudden someone starts a thread saying she got liposuction and posts before and after pictures. So I kind of agreed with them saying it is possible that he/she is right. Then few days later, someone got some credible counter evidence suggesting that she didnt get any lipo. Should I apologize to JLO?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
What makes you think that he reads the forum? Here is a hypothetical scenerio. I was a member of JLo'sass worship forum. All of a sudden someone starts a thread saying she got liposuction and posts before and after pictures. So I kind of agreed with them saying it is possible that he/she is right. Then few days later, someone got some credible counter evidence suggesting that she didnt get any lipo. Should I apologize to JLO?
Poor analogy Tony. Having said that, I realise that some people find it very difficult to use the word "sorry".

Regards, Graham.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Graham Banks wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Poor analogy Tony. Having said that, I realise that some people find it very difficult to use the word "sorry".

Regards, Graham.
It wasnt the best analogy but you cant force me to say the S word. It's gotta come from my heart, and it's not the right time yet.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I have examined the code and Strelka is not a clone. There is a 1 MB data table called 'material' inside Strelka, which is what I thought was some encrypted binary.

It's ironic that I complained about the 'primitive' Winboard parser.
Strelka's winboard parser borrows heavily from Beowulf.
;-)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dann Corbit wrote:I have examined the code and Strelka is not a clone. There is a 1 MB data table called 'material' inside Strelka, which is what I thought was some encrypted binary.

It's ironic that I complained about the 'primitive' Winboard parser.
Strelka's winboard parser borrows heavily from Beowulf.
;-)

It's all so ironic, how funny this is. But I would wait for an excuse towards Sergei here from all the police agents. To me it was the sound of the supervision that wasnt ok. And as I wrote we should change the whole system. Control yes, but in public - speak in forum environments - only friendly expectations. You in special - as super-super expert - did much wrong with your pre-mature conclusions. I dont know both of you, but for me Bryan is now the expert to contact in such cases. NOT because I would doubt your expert status, how could I as a non-expert, but for your public appearances that were premature and unfriendly in effect for the new entry.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Isaksen

Post by Isaksen »

I would like to apologize to the author as well, :( since I was one of the first who claimed that Strelka was a Rybka clone. Too many similarities caused me to rush and jump to the conclusion. One of the reason was its evaluation, and second its name which made me think that it was a joke about Rybka.
:D Great to know that it's an original engine which is going to be further developed
Would be nice if the author himself would say a word or two in this forum.
:oops: Once again,my apologies to the author.

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Dann Corbit wrote:I have examined the code and Strelka is not a clone.
OK then, Strelka is not a clone! This is a fact....

But i cannot understand how you can be 100 % sure, since you haven't seen Rybka's code. Or have you seen it?