TO BE OR NOT TO BE

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

Post by Sylwy »

Hi all !

1.Is Strelka 1.0b a clone or not ?
2.If not-is this engine the strongest WB (pure) chess engine ?

Regards,
Sylwy
Tony Thomas

Re: TO BE OR NOT TO BE

Post by Tony Thomas »

No one knows for sure if it is a clone yet. If the author is able to fix the time control problems and he provides constant updates, then it might be able to surpass all the suspicions. Also, if someone is able to verify the existence of the programmer and his alleged 24 year programming endevor then the release of Strelka would cast a shadow over the giant chess programming industry. :wink: :lol:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

eduard gave another 5 very convincing positions that show that it is very possible that strelka is a rybka clone.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Eduard provided an example where both engines evaluate a forced mate as -320. As far as I know, is the "320" evaluation for mate very unique and known from Rybka 1.0 Beta, only. IMO, this requires an explanation...
Regards, Mike
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Reply from Vasik in Rybka Forum:
I already got some emails about this. Of course, I have no idea what the author has done, but my first impression is a pretty good one. Sure, the engine is totally raw and needs a lot of nuts-and-bolts work, but that's something that any competent programmer can do. The author shows a clear sense of priorities by concentrating on his ideas rather sidetracking himself with all the little things like underpromotions, distances-to-mate, obscure endgame rules, etc.

When you start in computer chess, the first thing you need to do is to figure out if your ideas will work. (Unless you have no new ideas, in which case the result is predictable and any order is fine.)

Re. mate scores, +320.00 is perfectly logical. It's the largest round value which will fit into a signed 16-bit hash entry.

Vas
:D I think it is all a May 1st Russian Rybka joke!

Russian space dogs Strelka and Belka

Strelka and Belka safely returned with a Kuberl-Sputnik capsule from space in August 1960 after seventeen orbits. The first dog in space that actually went into orbit was of course Laika but she did not survive the flight in 1957. Several dogs before that made suborbital flights. Strelka is the dog on the left in the picture with a stripe running over its nose that, I think, looks a bit like an arrow. Strelka had 6 puppies afterwards and one, called Pushinka or "Fluffy" was given to President Kennedy's daughter Caroline by Nikita Krushchev. Pushinka's descendants are still living today. http://www.answers.com/topic/russian-space-dogs

I found a post on a blog that says the two dogs later died from internal organ failure due to the presure effects on reentry, but could not find that mentioned elsewhere: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=724368

Eelco
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Clone or not, but I think Jury Osipov is clever man :)

Jouni
rdan1987

Post by rdan1987 »

What's the point of opening another topic about the same engine>????
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

Jouni wrote:Clone or not, but I think Jury Osipov is clever man :)

Jouni
yes, definitely :-)
take it easy :)