From Russia With Love........

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Re: From Russia With Love........

Post by WinPooh »

Latest news from KasparovChess guestbook: Sergey Markov (SmarThink) got source codes of Strelka from Osipov, compiled them and says it is not a clone.
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

WinPooh wrote:Latest news from KasparovChess guestbook: Sergey Markov (SmarThink) got source codes of Strelka from Osipov, compiled them and says it is not a clone.
Correct me if im wrong, But to claim It's not a clone , He should compare the 2 sources, right? No problem that he saw Strelka source.... But how on earth does he know's Rybka source? :roll:
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

WinPooh wrote:Latest news from KasparovChess guestbook: Sergey Markov (SmarThink) got source codes of Strelka from Osipov, compiled them and says it is not a clone.
Well, on my part I think that I then have to apologize to Juri Osipov for suspecting Strelka to be a Rybka joke in a previous post, and I very much applaud the fact that Juri Osipov has given an independant party, Sergey Markov, the chance to look at the source-code for Strelka.

I think it is hard to ever be 200% sure that any similarities between Strelka and Rybka were only coincidental, or otherwise the result of efficient implementation of similar ideas. That would be the case even with access to both sources I think, but I'm no computer science expert.

Maybe comparing both sources will one day be necessary in case of Strelka participating in an official championship, if the Rybka team or a third party would ask that, but in that case Vasik Rajlich would have to give the arbiters access to his sources as well. In my opinion that is, it would be difficult to uphold any protest without giving access to your own sourcecode as well?

Eelco
Last edited by Eelco de Groot on Wed May 09, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

why the many similarities ?

can we maybe guess that BOTH (rybka and strelka) had the same roots concerning sources ?!
seems somehow similar like the bible-research where they call this source "Q".
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Can you explain me then how he could know ? I mean, does he have the Rybka source code to make such a comparisson ? I'm just wondering... :)

Greets, Thomas

P.S.: This is really gettin' a big joke... ;)
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Thomas Mayer wrote:Can you explain me then how he could know ? I mean, does he have the Rybka source code to make such a comparisson ? I'm just wondering... :)

Greets, Thomas

P.S.: This is really gettin' a big joke... ;)
The simplest way would be that Strelka doesn't use bitboards.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

How do we know that the Sergei Markoff that checked the sources is the real Markoff? Didnt we just have a Sergei Markoff sign up in our forum? If I remember correctly, I have seen the real Markoff posting here before.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tony Thomas wrote:How do we know that the Sergei Markoff that checked the sources is the real Markoff? Didnt we just have a Sergei Markoff sign up in our forum? If I remember correctly, I have seen the real Markoff posting here before.
True to hell pal,true to hell 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:How do we know that the Sergei Markoff that checked the sources is the real Markoff? Didnt we just have a Sergei Markoff sign up in our forum? If I remember correctly, I have seen the real Markoff posting here before.
True to hell pal,true to hell 8-)
I didnt send my sources to Markon.

<YO>
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

As a matter of fact,if the real author of SmarThink had taken a look at the source code of Strelka,we might accept some dose of accurance bearing in mind that he's a professional and knowing what he's talking about 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….