From Russia With Love........

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Raw Clone? Not Possible

Post by fern »

I wonder if a "raw" clone is possible as an existent entity. Rykba, as any finished thing, is what it is on the ground of that finish. There the difference are. Raw is anything elemental and elementality is on the basis of anything.
If I try to clone a Mercedes, I will not just put 4 wheels on a chasis.

My bst
fernando
rlsuth

Re: From Russia With Love........

Post by rlsuth »

Dirt wrote: I'm not a lawyer either, but I don't think stating somethings as an opinion is a complete bar to libel. Considering how harmful it would be for me to tell all your neighbors and co-workers that I think you murdered a previous wife, and sold the children into slavery, I'm confident that the legal system would offer you some recourse.

Strange as it may seem, no. You are entitled to your opinion no matter how ludicrous it is. If you state it as fact, however, you need to be able to prove it.

It's the same thing as the constant Barry Bonds steroid stories. As long as they're just conjecture, and not stated as fact, he has no recourse.

(this is all dependent on the country you live in of course).
gerold

Post by gerold »

mclane wrote:this looks very convincing christopher.

at least we see for the first time the real NPS of rybka, äh strelka :-)
Strelka seems to work better at long time control.
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

i have an idea too Guenther :-)
may be similar to yours :-)
take it easy :)
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Leto wrote:Vasik Rajlich, the author of Rybka, puts this conspiracy theory to rest:
"I already got some emails about this. Of course, I have no idea what the author has done, but my first impression is a pretty good one. Sure, the engine is totally raw and needs a lot of nuts-and-bolts work, but that's something that any competent programmer can do. The author shows a clear sense of priorities by concentrating on his ideas rather sidetracking himself with all the little things like underpromotions, distances-to-mate, obscure endgame rules, etc.

When you start in computer chess, the first thing you need to do is to figure out if your ideas will work. (Unless you have no new ideas, in which case the result is predictable and any order is fine.)

Re. mate scores, +320.00 is perfectly logical. It's the largest round value which will fit into a signed 16-bit hash entry.

Vas"

In other words, Strelka is not a Rybka clone.
No

Vas did not say that it is not a rybka clone.
He admitted that he has no idea what the author has done.
He did not claim that it is a clone but he also did not claim that he checked and found that it is not a clone.

It is logical that vas has better things to do than checking if new engines are clones of rybka espacially when they are clearly weaker than rybka.

Uri
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

i think that things are more complicated
but this is not more than speculation (or paranoya:-))

regards,
Geno

ps:
did someone here remember the times when there was suspicions here about Rybka was clone too? :)
take it easy :)
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Very similar doesn't mean identical !!!!
95% doesn't mean 100% !!!!!!
In any case -if Strelka (if ?!?!) is a clone-it's the most elaborate clone in all computer chess history.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

GenoM wrote:i think that things are more complicated
but this is not more than speculation (or paranoya:-))

regards,
Geno

ps:
did someone here remember the times when there was suspicions here about Rybka was clone too? :)
There is a big difference.

1)the author of rybka never gave hints that it is a clone by things like the choice of the name.

2)Rybka was clearly stronger than every engine that it was supposed to be a clone of it.

changing an engine to make it weaker is clearly easier than changing an engine to make it stronger.

Uri
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

It is not in Vas's personality to jump the gun and claim this or that is a clone. Even if he was 99% sure it was a clone, he would not say it simply because there is still a 1% doubt. When Rybka came on the scene I think only a very few people mentioned it might be a clone, but after Rybka had played some games and was tested by some of the veterans it was immediately obvious that something dramatic in chess computer had happened. I remember running my first tourney with Rybka beta ... and even in its rawest form ... I would watch in amazement as it totally outplayed engine after engine. I for one, immeditately realized that something big had just happened. What was amazing about Rybka is that it scored so well even though it had quite a few elementary things missing which would cause it to draw or even lose games that were totally won. In this primitive beta form it was already a formidable opponent to all engines ... imagine what would happen once it matured.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Instead of throwing accusations here and there, have anyone
tried to get a public statement from the author of Strelka?