New russian engine in shredder gui

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

New russian engine in shredder gui

Post by fern »

It does not work. Play some moves and then freeze. No PV, nothing. Even if f it is not a clone of Rybka, as some are afraid, anyway is buggy. Why bothers? Shredder gui is excellent, every engine works there smoothly, but this new one.

Returning to really working stuff regards
Fernando
Graham Banks

Re: New russian engine in shredder gui

Post by Graham Banks »

fern wrote:Shredder gui is excellent, every engine works there smoothly
I wish this was true! :wink:
fern

Post by fern »

Well, it is truth with my engines......Shredder.......¿what else?

Fernandojavascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

fern wrote:Well, it is truth with my engines......Shredder.......¿what else?

Fernandojavascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
:lol: Fair enough Fern.
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Works fine with ChessPartner 5.4 and Arena 1.1.
Have you selected X moves in Y time ? If not, after leaving the opening book, it won't play.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

fern wrote:It does not work. Play some moves and then freeze. No PV, nothing. Even if f it is not a clone of Rybka, as some are afraid, anyway is buggy. Why bothers? Shredder gui is excellent, every engine works there smoothly, but this new one.

Returning to really working stuff regards
Fernando
I installed Strelka first as a Winboard engine but could not get Analysis mode to work. Shredder support of Winboard is I believe with the old Winboard adapter, UCI is much better supported. I tried installing Strelka with Odd Gunnar Malins excellent utility Wb2Uci and this seems to work better; from
http://utilities.sjakk.biz/Wb2Uci/ I downloaded the last betaversion from 16-6-2005, unzipped it in the folder with Strelka and added a Notepad textfile called wb2uci.eng with the following contents:

[ENGINE]
Name=Strelka_10b
Author=Juri Osipov
Filename=Wb2Uci.exe

[OPTIONS]
Program=Strelka.exe

This was described by Dieter Eberle in the big Strelka thread http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... =&start=20
When installing the engine instead of pointing Shredder GUI to Strelka.exe you point it to Gunnar's unzipped Wb2Uci.exe and the above .eng file then automatically connects it to the Strelka executable, it now gets the name Strelka_10b
Now it can do some analysis as well!

I think Strelka likely is a Rybka clone but is not exactly the same as Rybka 1.0 Beta, the exe is smaller, the data structures do not seem to be the same, possibly because it is a clone of one or more of the later versions as Christopher Conkie suggests. It can't mate with two queens but the analysis mode output in following position was a bit different from the original Rybka beta game, for instance in analysis mode I get

[D]Q7/3Pk3/2K5/8/8/8/8/8 b - -
Strelka 1.0 Beta suggested moves output:
(58... Ke6 59. Kb6 Kd6 60. Ka6 Kc5 61. Ka7 Kb5
62. Kb8 Kb4 63. d8=Q Kb3 64. Qb7+ Ka3 65. Qa7+ Kb2
66. Qab6+ Ka2 67. Qa7+ Kb1 68. Qab6+ Ka1 69. Qa7+ Kb1
70. Qab6+ Ka1 71. Qa7+ Kb1 72. Qab6+ Ka1 73. Qa7+ Kb1
74. Qab6+ Ka1 75. Qa7+ Kb1 76. Qab6+ Ka1 etc.)

Rybka 1.0 Beta can give mate it seems in analysis mode, although it could not do so in the original game.
Rybka 1.0 Beta suggested moves output;
(58... Ke6 59. Qe8+ Kf6 60. d8=Q+ Kf5 61. Qd5+ Kg4 62. Qdh5+ Kg3
63. Qe3+ Kg2 64. Qe4+ Kf1 65. Qhh1+ Kf2 66. Qhe1#)

Eelco
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Shredder support of Winboard is I believe with the old Winboard adapter, UCI is much better supported. I tried installing Strelka with Odd Gunnar Malins excellent utility Wb2Uci and this seems to work better
Correct - I load all engines under the Shredder GUI as UCI engines, otherwise there are far too many problems.

The Arena GUI is the only GUI in which you can load engines as either Winboard or UCI without too many issues.